1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keymod versus M-lok

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Atlas, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

2. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I'm looking at the "drop test" results... Are soldiers expected to never drop their weapon? I don't recall that from my training.

3. Atlas

That is the selling point for M-lock. I've started switching everything over now, getting away from keymod.

hypnos likes this.
  4. hypnos

hypnos Active Member Survival Class Instructor

I worked as a machinist and contractor for magpul. And i really like MLOK, it is more simple for machining operations. And stronger, you aren't removing as much material. The side effect is a slightly heavier rail system. More material is removed to make key mod slots. Originally, Vltor/BCM pioneered the keymod system, it was designed out the gate to be light weight. Also, the BCM KMR handgaurd is not just aircraft grade aluminum, it is an aluminum/magnesium alloy, making it quite a bit stronger and even lighter than a comparable sized rail.

One major benefit of keymod is direct attach accessories, they are easier to swap out as well for those of us that want lots of versatility on the fly....typically with mlok you must mount a rail segment first and then attach an accessory, which translates to redundant mounting, increasing weight and overall weapon dimensions.

Atlas likes this.
  5. hypnos

If i needed a "ninja" gun that i might feel the need to shoot allot of fully automatic, and/or might be going from designated marksmen, recon and then, to a room clearing set up. (Swapping a bipod for a forend grip) I'd go with keymod...i think it might give better cooling to my barrel...but since I am not a ninja, and I could forsee dropping my rifle, I'd stick with m-lok :).

6. Atlas

All good points, indeed.

I personally do not put a lot of junk on my rifles. I don't like verticle grips, they seem unnatural to me while shooting. Call me old school. This is why I prefer a longer m-lok rail, as it is more comfortable to grab.

The weight is a good point, that can be somewhat offset by a skinnier rail like the Aero Atlas ONE rail.

hypnos likes this.
  7. hypnos

Yes there are lots of options @Atlas , the weight is basically a non issue. But if you build rifles as a hobby and want to see how light you can make one then it could be a factor. For practical applications the weight isn't any huge difference. Generally I'd agree, mlok is superior from every practical standpoint. I believe a few companies actually make QD weapon mounts specifically for mlok.

I personally like a vertical grip, mainly to keep my hand away from hot parts. I only use a red dot, a verticle grip, and a light on a defensive rifle, so I use magpul MOE for the most part, it is pretty much all a practical rifle really needs.

Atlas likes this.
  8. Atlas

My hunting rifle is my best effort to get light yet. I don't have an accurate scale that can weigh something that big, but it is by far lighter than any other rifle I own EXCEPT the little badger, but that thing is in a very different realm. I have a few more places that I could shave weight with it, but I'm not touching it with a tool until after deer season!

hypnos likes this.