1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JDY Idea #101

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Jerry D Young, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Active Member

Had a thought today... yeah, yeah, yeah... I know how rare and dangerous that can be.

Anyway, I am planning on getting a 3D printer as soon as I can. I already have quite a few ideas for designs of items I want to make for myself that are prepper related.

However, the idea that struck me today was, I wonder if there would be a market for a toy set called "Barbie's Bunker". Or "Barbie & Ken's Bunker".

Depending on the amount of detail and how many individual parts there would be, it could be from really simple to pretty complex. Might do a version for one or more of the newer Adventure Action Figures, too.

What do you'all think? I am semi-serious about this. Definitely not hard core serious though. It came to me more as a joke in my mind, but the more I thought about it the more I liked the idea since I have been looking for pieces and parts to put together castles that I can give a modern twist in design and construction methods. With the 3D printer I had decided to wait and just make my own as what I had found in the model making industry were all really expensive.

Thought? Ideas? Recommendation? Suggestions? Etc.?

Just my opinion.

Punty, hypnos, Atlas and 1 other person like this.
  2. twp

twp Make DuckDuckGo.com Your Search Engine. Staff Member

I like the idea. I would change the name to avoid patent conflict: "Barbara & Kenneth's Bunker" might still be too close. My significant other makes "barbie" size furniture and jewelry cases using yarn and plastic canvas. There appears to be a market for color coordinated items (Nevada Blue and Grey) etc.

Punty, Jerry D Young and Atlas like this.
  3. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

This sounds like an interesting idea Jerry. Marketing could be the hardest part, but it does seem like a good way to keep busy.

Punty, Jerry D Young and twp like this.
  4. Jerry D Young

lol

I am too busy now! I just want to make some money. lol

And, perhaps, influence a few impressionable minds so they will accept the idea of prepping much more easily. Even eagerly.

Jerry

And you are right, twp. I could not use the Barbie or Barbie & Ken unless I went through Mattel. Besides, I am thinking there might be a larger market outside that niche marked. I would not want to limit myself to just the Mattel Barbie line. I would want to market it to other groups, and, more importantly, through prepper websites as a training tool for adults and a learning toy for children.

Hm... I am liking this more and more. I really hope I can get a 3D printer after I move.

Just my opinion.

Punty, hypnos and twp like this.
  5. Atlas

I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with Jerry. A 3D printer would be awesome.

Punty, hypnos and Jerry D Young like this.
  6. hypnos

hypnos Moderator Staff Member

The Anet A8 is a pretty great printer for beginners, and it is something you can buy online from walmart and ship to store for free. ANET has a few other great printers, but new ones come out all the time, so you may want to see what is being said on forums for 3d printers. The A8 has a cult following, kinda like baofeng. Lots of modders, lots of files available for download for upgrading parts and making replacement parts for the A8.

I'd start looking there.

If you are trying to attract a younger crowd to buy said merch, the video game FALLOUT is extremely popular and while I don't advise ripping them off (I'm sure Mattel and Bethesda would go ape) from a stylistic standpoint it could give you some other ideas.

I am sure there are home schooled kids somewhere in Idaho that would thank you.

Punty and Jerry D Young like this.
  7. hypnos

It would be awesome to make medical supplies with a 3d printer, there are lots of different filaments available, some temperature ranges may not be supported by your printer, tho PLA and ABS is probably fine, there are exotic filaments like delrin that can be printed and "NINJAFLEX" offers some very interesting materials also.

For machining, people have also printed a special mount to attach a dremel to their 3D printers, they remove the print head and use it for light 5 axis machining operations. Just a heads up.

8. Jerry D Young

Thank you, hypnos. That is some good info. I will check all of it out before I purchase.

Punty, Atlas and hypnos like this.
  9. hypnos

You are welcome, lots of YouTube reviews for printers. I'd check them out too. I think you need to assemble the A8 yourself (the most affordable printers tend to require assembly) for what you are wanting you may need to have a very high print quality. Or you will be sanding your prints, allot.

It may be more effective for you to print a die casting mold, and then injection mold your figurines with epoxy resin, it will be faster and much more affordable for production work.

10. hypnos

I think it's actually a really great idea, @Jerry D Young , especially for preppers with children that should be learning about prepping in the least intimidating way possible. Could actually sell like nuts.

11. hypnos

@Atlas we need a STEM board, would be great to have a place we can talk engineering, science, etc and trouble shoot.

Punty, Jerry D Young and twp like this.
  12. Atlas

Explain STEM to my cave man brain.

13. twp

STEM - Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics.

It is also a curriculum at colleges and Universities.

14. Atlas

Is that a yes vote by you?

15. twp

Yes, that is a "yes" vote.

16. Jerry D Young

Thank you everyone for the support of the idea. And hypnos, I think you are right about the mold for at least some of the pieces. For anything that needs multiple units of the same item. I had thought about that, but never really continued the line of thought. You guys are getting me excited about at the very least getting the printer. Just about every day I think of something that I would like to be able to print and use myself.

Just my opinion.

Punty, twp and Atlas like this.
  17. Atlas

Punty likes this.
  18. Jerry D Young

Alas, no. I have not been able to move yet. Still on the wait list for the place. And now a couple of additional obstacles are in the way. One of these days, though...

Atlas and twp like this.
  19. twp

Glad you're still functional Jerry!

Atlas likes this.
  20. Atlas

That is very understandable. I have a Creality Ender 3 now and was looking for someone to talk shop with.