1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's been a while since we did a give away!

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Awesome pad @Punty !
    I love hammocks as well, but mozzie hoards can definitely keep me from using mine. It's a cheaper ENO singlenest and I really enjoy using it.

Punty likes this.
  2. Punty

Punty Active Member

Yeah, for whatever reason, I'm not crazy about an integral bug net...makes me feel trapped in a hammock. Besides, sometimes I sleep with a leg hanging over one side if it's hot. Mostly, though, it's a potential failure point which I don't like. I do have a bug net, tube style, that goes over my hammock.

For my Bug Out kit, I have a poncho that can be used as a hammock from Wilderness Innovation. Cost me $200. I used it initially for my camping trips, but I wanted something with more room, so I got a double hammock...but for my Bug Out kit, versatility is the name of the game, so the poncho it is, combined with a 2Go systems Trifecta and Therme sleeping bag, so in a pinch I can sleep on the ground with the Trifecta as a bivvy and my poncho as a tarp, or use my poncho as a hammock with the Trifecta as a tarp. At any rate, the whole thing is about a 4 pound shelter system and rain gear.

Oh, and if I sleep on the ground, I can fill the bug net with debris and use it as my sleeping pad for insulation....theoretically.

twp and Atlas like this.
  3. Atlas

My first backpacking set up was a Vietnam era jungle hammock I bought off an old Vet. I only used it a couple times, and I believe it was the only bit of gear that I ever saw that man get rid of in his life. I wish I still had it, but the ex....

The problem with it was that the way you laid in it was all wrong. Hammocks now have this figured out. Anyone that sleeps on their side knows what I'm talking about.

Punty and twp like this.
  4. Atlas

20190709_185905.jpg

This one is going in the kit too.

Punty and twp like this.
  5. Atlas

@hunterrjc and @LikeABoss this is going to be a good giveaway, you should think about entering!

Punty and twp like this.
  6. Atlas

twp likes this.
  7. hunterrjc

hunterrjc Member

Very good timing mentioning me...I have been wanting to get back to the site but the past few months have been crazy. I spent an hour or so earlier this evening catching up on posts. I will definitely have to think through this and get a post together.

I will also be at our new property this weekend and I'll update my original thread with what we have been up to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Punty, twp and Atlas like this.
  8. Atlas

Great! I'll be looking forward to hearing about the updates!

Punty and twp like this.
  9. Atlas

Just for the record @jimLE you are not out of the running because you won in the past!

I would also like to add that even if you feel like you don't really care about the prize, you should still enter. If you are picked I am totally fine with you either giving these things to a family member or friend who is new to prepping or you passing them on to another forum member who you think is worthy.

Don't be shy, we all learn from discussions like these!

Punty and twp like this.
  10. Punty

Punty Active Member

Yeah, I don't much care what the prize is. I just think it can be fun to do...that's why I want to do a short semi-fictional story. I can splice together pictures of various outings coming up, and keep in mind the scenario for certain pics, and have fun with it.

It also gives me a chance to blather about my gear and show and tell.....lol.

twp and Atlas like this.
  11. Atlas

Blather away! I am looking forward to it!

Punty and twp like this.
  12. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

I've been working on a scenario. one comes to mind. We've been having heat advisories the last few days.in which im working on adding to that.like drought and wildfires popping here n there..

edit..the prize im not worried about.on account im sure it's a good one.

twp and Punty like this.
  13. Atlas

Looking forward to seeing your post!

twp and Punty like this.
  14. Atlas

twp and Punty like this.
  15. soyer38301

soyer38301 Active Member

Coming up with an "I take the trailer" scenario. Already have it mostly stocked with prep food, just need a few more things.

Already have it down to a 10 minute hookup and pullout

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jimLE, twp, Atlas and 1 other person like this.
  16. Atlas

In this scenario having a camper loaded up and ready to go is the best option in my opinion. It is my number one plan as well.

soyer38301 and twp like this.
  17. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

that's the one thing i hate about my kia rondo.no hitch.and no trailer or camper because of that..I'm still working on my scenario..

Atlas and twp like this.
  18. Atlas

That does make it difficult @jimLE , but not impossible. I think people will be glad to listen to how you would deal with this scenario, considering many people are probably in the same situation.

jimLE and twp like this.
  19. Atlas

This new baofeng radio is pretty nice, but I bet it is about the same to program as the old ones. As a note to whoever wond this, I can either help you program it or I can load it up with some frequencies for your AO before I send it out.

20. Atlas