1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's been a while since we did a give away!

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

We haven't done a give away in a while, so I think that it's time.

Let me start off by saying that I am going to do it a little bit differently this time. Rather than drop-shipping from Amazon I am going to make up a nice little kit for the winner. Once I have the kit finished I will post the contents and some pictures. Once again, I promise this will be worth the troubles of entering, so don't let my lack of specifics slow you down.

I will keep the contest open until 2359 on August 31, 2019. On September 1st I will pick a winner randomly.

To enter the contest you need to be 18 years old and have at least 5 posts on the forum.

Now, the good stuff. How to Enter. In the thread below I want you to explain how you would react to my Scenario, I want you to tell me what preparation you have done for my Scenario and when the last time you practiced for a similar Scenario. If you have not practiced it, do it now and tell me what happened.

Contents so far:

Czech M60 rucksack
    Baofeng UV-8R dual band handheld transceiver
    Ontario Rat Model 1 in D2 pocket knife
    RADTriage Fit personal Dosimeter

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Punty, jdp, hypnos and 1 other person like this.
  2. Atlas

What's the Scenario you ask?

Well, here we go.

You are sitting on your couch enjoying the evening news after dinner and/or more likely surfing the net on your PC when you get a notification of an impending disaster. It is going to be different by locations or could even be man made, but let's say you have 30 minutes to leave where you are and head to a secondary location that is known to be safe. There is no bugging in, that is for sure.

Go.

Punty, jdp, hypnos and 1 other person like this.
  3. Atlas

Let me add, that if you don't have 5 posts yet now is the time! Introduce yourself and add comments to a few posts that interest you!

Punty, twp, jdp and 1 other person like this.
  4. Atlas

Oh, and @hypnos I'm sorry but I cannot ship to Mexico. If you win you'll have to receive it in the US when you get back.

Punty, twp and hypnos like this.
  5. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

After making absolutely certain my gear is in the truck, and my firearm is ready and concealed on my person, i would go to the first ATM i could find and withdraw all the cash it would let me.

If power goes out at the gas station while I'm waiting in line, only cash purchase will leave with anything of value, that assumes the pumps are working at all.

(Provided i have my gear in my vehicle, and i always do) i would attempt to get out of any city or town immediately, after locking up the area im staying, removing any mail from the mailbox, and shutting off power or gas at the main. If i am forced to return for anything, i may walk into a death trap of my own creation if i don't mitigate the hazards immediately. Flood water and electricity don't mix as an example.

After picking a route away any populated center, i would be sure not to travel a distance more than half of the fuel i have on hand. This ensures i can return to where I came. At every opportunity, especially in rural areas and along country roads, i would buy fuel, and any other additional goods they still have on hand. Even dog food.

I would avoid typical public park areas. People know these areas. While it may be tempting to set up camp with a toilet, picnic table, and bbq pit nearby, I'm relatively certain many people would have the same idea.

I would however stop at my local gun range, verify my weapon zero, meet with any of my group members, establish rendezvous or travel plans etc. And continue on, with safety in numbers to more remote locations, or simply stay on the gun range property (many have locked gates, and only members have keys, most at least have member lounge areas.

At any rate, whatever my final destination was. I would not immediately set up camp. Instead i would wait a few hours, survey the land, and foot patrol to make sure i didn't have any neighbors.
    Obviously, camouflaging your vehicle is a must.

If for any reason i was forced to do some shopping ( i hate that idea, allot) i would buy every non perishable food item and ammunition for my weapons i could. I think many in panic would miss the food in the camping section, obviously water is even more important.

As long as you do not have food items like produce that need to be weighed, you can skip the lines if you check out at the gun counter. Pay as much on the card as possible if you can, withdraw more cash if possible. If you are having trouble getting assistance in sporting goods, tap on the glass on the gun cabinet. They have sensors that when activated will get you a quick response from employees. Exit out the automotive department. Grab anything there you may need on the way, if at all possible i avoid the front of the store. Emergency or not, too many people. I usually use the trucker's entrance and exit. Much less traffic.

Punty, jdp, Atlas and 1 other person like this.
  6. jdp

jdp Member

Between the flooding, fires and now earthquakes I can see that this is a good topic to prep for. I'll work on my response and reply back soon.

Punty, hypnos, Atlas and 1 other person like this.
  7. Atlas

Great! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Punty and hypnos like this.
  8. Atlas

Very nicely done. When is the last time that you practiced?

9. Atlas

The kit has started. It is going in a surplus Czech M60 pack. I also have a brand new Baofeng UV-8R that is going inside.

10. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

I practice every day. :)

Not exactly, but the way i live day to day has everything to do with being a prepper. My shopping habits and methods of travel are no different, so its thoroughly ingrained within my behavior. I have a few weeks food supply in my truck, a gas can, my BOB, usually at least a gallon of water, and a half a tank of gas, nearly without fail. Never mind my rifle and handgun. Generally my hand gun stays with me in the sling pack, the rifle stays in the truck. Along with the ammunition for it.

I don't have a permanent residence to worry about getting back to, and storage is limited, so i only buy enough ammo and mags that i could feasibly carry. Not too much more than that.

Tho my gun case contains my extra parts, conversions, adapters, cleaning kit, etc. Ready to go when they are needed.

The area i stay, i know well and have several options to escape, with a pretty extensive list and informational audit of the areas resources.

To include communications gear, and a shortlist of people i trust. I keep a road atlas in my vehicle, next to my bible, in case shit gets real.

Punty and Atlas like this.
  11. Atlas

Good answer.

If you can't do this drill with your eyes closed you need to practice more.

This actually happened to my brother in Santa Rosa a couple of years back. Fire burned the whole neighborhood down, he had 30 minutes notice to get out and it was at 0200. Maybe he will chime in and tell you about it, or not.

Punty, hypnos and jdp like this.
  12. jdp

jdp Member

I'll pass on the story-time, but you can bet that we practice now.

Punty, twp, hypnos and 1 other person like this.
  13. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

Awesome, I'm looking forward to hearing his tale. I enjoy the stories, there is pretty much always some aspect to reality you just can't dream up.

Punty, soyer38301, twp and 1 other person like this.
  14. Atlas

@soyer38301 this might be your chance to win with better odds than last time!

15. soyer38301

soyer38301 Active Member

Only time will tell

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Punty, Atlas, hypnos and 1 other person like this.
  16. Punty

Punty Active Member

I'm glad you extended this to August 31, because I am totally going to do a fake trip report with pictures. Maybe a short story.

twp and Atlas like this.
  17. Atlas

Bonus points for that!

Not only does it give me more time to add to the prizes, but it also gives everyone plenty of time to get creative!

twp and Punty like this.
  18. Punty

Punty Active Member

I happen to have my bag still packed on the living room floor because I went to Punty's Palace this weekend. I sleep outside, and take all my gear on every trip....so it is basically 85% of my bug out kit, less food and firearms. I can snap a picture of it right where it is when I get home to start off.....maybe I'll arrange the guns I'll be taking to make it authentic.

One thing I learned this weekend though, is that there is a Hell of a big difference hauling a tent with sleeping pads and all that compared to a hammock, tarp and blanket.....both in space and weight....but I wanted to test the tent out that I just got, and I'm grateful I did, because the black flies, mosquitoes, and deer flies were murderous this weekend. My gray hair was literally brown from dried blood, I had blood dripping down around my ears, and I had so many bites on my arms that my hands and fingers swelled up. The hammock would have been a no go, and the tent was a welcome shelter from the buzzing horde.

EDIT: Pictures of Punty's Palace...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Atlas, hypnos and twp like this.
  19. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

Punty and Atlas like this.
  20. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

Atlas likes this.