1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It started with a loud bang and silent darkness

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by WolfBrother, Nov 1, 2019.

1. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

This morning, 12:00midnight, we had another power outage in Reno, NV. It lasted about 90 to 100 minutes. No cause listed, yet, on the outage website.

More power line rot leaking over from California?:rolleyes:

Atlas and jimLE like this.
  2. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

That's because of the gov/snowflake rot. :rolleyes:

twp and Atlas like this.
  3. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

WolfBrother and twp like this.
  4. twp

Good article. I wish I had the ability to heat this apartment with wood, but it would be a one-time-only, involving the burning down of the structure...:p Counter productive.

Currently, our weather is nice fall temperatures and only getting down to freezing (32F) at night. If the outage were to run to a period of days, we'd be outside at the barbecue pit, standing in line with the other residents to cook a meal. I wouldn't want them to know that we have other ways of cooking in our Prepper equipment (OPSEC). Our refrigerator/freezer will hold frozen for at least 4 days, based on testing, after which I'd be cooking as much as possible and keeping our cooked foods stashed outdoors in the colder temperatures.

Atlas likes this.
  5. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Active Member

The night mine happened we had a - for that day - a new record low temperature. Some of the homes along the street are total electric and they added load for heat could have contributed. Then again - aging non-updated infrastructure.

Atlas and twp like this.
  6. twp

The same thing happened a couple of years ago (4-5?) when we were in a deep cold snap and everyone was pushing their electricity use to the max. A local power coupling box blew (loud bang!). It was fixed in short order.

It could (does) also happen in summer when air conditioners kick in. We only have built-in heat in the apartment, no air conditioning/cooling, so we put a floor fan in the window to circulate slightly cooler air.

Atlas likes this.