1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interview with the ApartmentPrepper

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, May 2, 2019.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

jdp, Bunker Bob and twp like this.
  2. Bunker Bob

Bunker Bob Member

Thanks, @Atlas! I'm redesigning the site and hope to launch the new version within the next week or so. Stay tuned!

jdp and Atlas like this.
  3. Atlas

That's the best bit of advice right there.

Good luck with the remodel @Bunker Bob I know that's not always a fun process, but it's usually worth it.

4. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

that's a good read.im Putting the space under my bed and sofa to good use.as well as shelves.store bought and home made alike....i have a end table that looks like a stack of books.top of it opens to the storage space inside of it.

he also posted about being to prepper minded.and not taking time off from it.like taking a vacation of some kind.that's where my camping trips come in at.

jdp and Atlas like this.
  5. Atlas

I hear that @Jerry D Young @jerry has some interesting apartment storage ideas as well. Under beds and the couch does make a lot of sense.

jimLE likes this.
  6. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

Jerry, thank you for the article. I've added to my archives.

We are in a third (top) floor apartment and I can relate to the problems you note about moving both ourselves and our supplies up/down the stairs (no elevator). The building also sways in the wind and bounces in earthquakes (not rare enough here).

I also vote for an upper floor unit due to more security from theft. The ground floor units are only a broken window away from thieves.

We do have a fire hazard here (wood construction and gas fired heaters). I've looked at a roll-up ladder for at least one window. The lease doesn't allow for permanent ladder installation, but that may be a plus factor because the ladder could be deployed from whichever window is safer, in case of a fire.

jimLE and Atlas like this.
  7. Punty

Punty Active Member

I live in a condo with a raised 4 poster bed, specifically for storage.
    About a year ago, the wife discovered what was under the bed. She was like "What are all these cases under the bed?"

One apartment tip....fake outlets and light switches make excellent stash spots for cash or other valuables. Just keep the faceplate and the switch, but behind it isn't wiring, just cash.

jdp, twp and Atlas like this.
  8. Atlas

That is a good trick. I'll have to use it in the future.

My wife is like yours, she doesn't pay much attention, then one day she sees something and says "really?!" The funny thing is she is always there when I buy it.

9. twp

Our apartment management would "have a cow" if they found a non-working socket or switch (they do check in the annual inspections (PITA!). If I owned a home, I'd definitely install fake sockets because they are low and a determined thief would have to spend time, bent over, with a screwdriver, to inspect each socket.

Atlas likes this.
  10. Atlas

Are all apartments as strict as yours @twp?

11. twp

I'm sure that most apartments leases have an inspection clause. They do own the property.
    As far as cutting a hole in the plasterboard and installing a fake socket, we can't do it here, but perhaps other apartments might allow it, don't know.

Atlas likes this.
  12. Atlas

Do they just have a look around? Or do they check everything to make sure it still works as well?

13. twp

Here, at least, they check all faucets, light bulbs and appliances and general housekeeping (neatness nannies). They don't check all wall sockets, probably because they can't reach all of them. The furnace gets an annual inspection and air filter change. Definitely a "nanny" mentality. We've had two managers fired, in the last three months, because they really exceeded the bounds of their job. One of them send eviction notices to about half of the residents... The last one gave three day notice before inspection and they told many residents that they failed... Needless to say, there were serious complaints from residents on the last one.

The complex changed owners last year and I think they wanted "their" people to be in charge, but they had nobody ready, so they hired outside managers... Mistake? I think so.

Yes, a move would be in order...

Atlas likes this.
  14. Bunker Bob

Bunker Bob Member

Website redesign is pretty much complete. Need to verify a few things here and there, but let me know what you think!

twp, jdp and Atlas like this.
  15. Atlas

Very nice. I like the new logo as well.

16. jdp

jdp Member

twp likes this.
  17. Punty

Punty Active Member

I actually use an old, unused cable jack outlet.

Atlas and twp like this.
  18. twp

Ah ha! The cable outlet is a much better idea. They (the apartment manager/owners) don't inspect it because they don't pay for the cable connection. Thanks for the idea.!

Atlas likes this.