1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to pick your news sources

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, May 13, 2019.

1. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

With the current political games being played, by all parties, I'm frequently inundated by a huge set of news reports. It is NOT easy to pick and choose which ones to trust and which to verify... (Thank you Ronald Reagan).

Lately, it has become easier because the various social media sites have been blacklisting and removing news sources and pundits. This points some fingers at who might be saying things which make too much sense (and which oppose the mass media story line).

That is my hint for the day: watch what the media is doing and look in the opposite direction. If a given news source is being "shadow blocked" and having their social media access removed, then perhaps they really are something worthwhile reading.

Sadly, it also means having to read the main stream media (mostly drivel) to note who is being blackballed and thrown out of the clubhouse...

I'm not the only one to have noticed this and you can see new websites and news services being started in an effort to give a platform to those who are considered dangerous by mass media. Sure, some websites are "over the line" and may sound too far "right wing"... It's up to you to make your own evaluation...

I'll admit that I have bookmarked some news sources, only to come back later and remove the bookmark because I could not wade through their content...

I hope this gives some of you some guidance in how you get your daily dose of news/opinion/gossip... It is Contrarian News Reading, similar to Contrarian Investing.

jimLE and Atlas like this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

It's no easy task to sort through this stuff. Thank you for the advice.

twp likes this.
  3. jimLE

jimLE Active Member

yeah.i've had issues with finding good news stories and reports on what ever I'm looking for at the time.most of what i find tells me very little if anything at all..then there's the moments where i don't find anything at all..

4. twp

I do try to find verified sources for reports found on the 'net, but it is sometimes not possible. I've passed on reporting some stories because there was no way to verify them.

That being said, I do read many "opinion" pieces which are only supported by my trust in the author. I generally don't post links to those because they are only opinion (Yes, I am highly opinionated myself...).

One problem is that many (most) of the MSM (Main Stream Media) sources are painfully guilty of creating "fake news" and that makes ALL of their reports suspect and many of them absolutely unbelievable. I still read some of those sources, but only because I think we should "know the enemy"... Don't trust everything you read on the 'net... Duh!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Atlas likes this.
  5. jimLE

jimLE Active Member

i pled the 5th on that one..lol

Atlas likes this.
  6. twp

:D:D I must also take the 5th on this. But: once burned twice shy. Hence I try to double check before I trust...

If it starts with "Hillary said...", "Pelosi said...", "Schumer said..." then my warning flags go upo_O. Don't even get me started on Bernie Sanders, either :eek:.

Atlas likes this.
  7. jimLE

jimLE Active Member

ok that did it.I'm closing this window before i get me/us in trouble..lol

Atlas and twp like this.
  8. twp

:eek::mad::confused::rolleyes::D

Atlas and jimLE like this.
  9. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Active Member

I do not trust ANYTHING I read and especially see, on the internet. It all gets verified true, not true, fake, out-of-context, partial, twisted, spun, parody, sarcasm, misquoted, adjective'fied', slanted, and a few other possibilities. Only when I find out just which of the preceding class it falls into do I make a determination of if I can trust it as the truth, or for what it actually is, if not the truth.

Just my opinion.

Atlas and twp like this.
  10. twp

[In my best snowflake, whiny voice] But, but, but Al Gore SAID we have global warming! On CNN! :eek:

It pays to check the sources... CNN = Contrarian News Network

Jerry D Young likes this.
  11. Atlas

So how will you know when to bug out? When you look out the window and see that the sky is actually falling?

Jerry D Young likes this.
  12. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Active Member

Oh no. I did not mention HOW I check out the things that are all over the internet.

I have a whole, quite large, of people that filter everything for me. Several of them are right here on this forum. Why should I do all the hard work when someone else is already doing it?

I just have to log on a few sites, read a few posts, talk to a few people and decide, "Is this the day?"

Just my opinion.

Atlas likes this.
  13. twp

Thanks Jerry, I assume the check will be in the mail?:D

I do the same thing, based on what I read/see/hear, I'm always adjusting my bug-out barometer.
    Even the fake news reports help me evaluate the situation. When too many are shouting the same, negative evaluation, I pay attention because they just might be trying to distract me from what is actually happening.

Atlas and Jerry D Young like this.
  14. Atlas

That's how I do it too. I'll be sure to pass along anything that pops up on my radar, of course.

twp likes this.
  15. prep4life

prep4life New Member

I've learned the only news you can trust is the news you can verify with your own two eyes and ears. Everything else needs to be verified by multiple sources, and typically sources that don't normally agree with each other.

Atlas and twp like this.
  16. twp

@prep4life, Yes, sources are often contradictory. It takes time to dig down to verify claims.

Atlas likes this.
  17. Atlas

Yes, it sure does. Nice to see you again!