1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How social media disinformation is complicating emergency response

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Jul 11, 2018.

1. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

This is an illustration of why I discourage the reporting of social media posts, particularly when they are presented in MSM (Main Stream Media) as true reports of events.

How social media disinformation is complicating emergency response

There is little or no verification on posts to social media websites. While it is true that MSM is also guilty of this practice, it is (IMO) worse on social media websites because almost anyone can post there.

I advise strong skepticism when you read a claim made on any of the social media posts...
    If you still believe that a claim may have merit, take the time to dig for more references which support or refute the claim.

Would you believe the boy in the story, when he tells you the sky is falling? I hope you would check before hiding in the basement...

2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I totally agree, but I also think it can be a powerful tool. No one gets away with anything these days, there is always someone with a phone shooting video of everything. Trust, but verify is a good saying. I don't even really trust anything on the web, but I do try to verify interesting posts when I can. Video can be edited to show or not show certain things, but so can anything else.

I do tend to believe random posts my the seemingly "common man" more than the MSM, but that is probably a flaw of mine.

3. twp

The problem is in the timing. A social media (SM) post is almost instantly distributed to the 'net. Only after some time will there be replies which either refute or confirm a claim. These replies tend to get buried in the flood of SM posts.

I see too many website articles, which claim to be news stories, but which contain a string of SM posts instead.

While a post by the "common man" may be more likely to be valid, there are also enough trolls and paid advertisers to make it really difficult to identify a truthful statement. Sure, some of them are blatantly obvious in their bias, but too many are plausible and some people will believe them without attempting to verify. "Trust, but Verify" - Reagan

Atlas likes this.
  4. Atlas

One thing that I can say, is that there are some people who I have begun to trust as reporting "just the facts" and their records show that they are pretty close to spot on. Not that they are predicting anything long term, but they are able to see things hours before they happen. For guys like you and I, a couple hours head start towards a bug out plan is going to be huge. As long as we do our part.

5. twp

So you you have a set of trusted sources, even if the medium (SM) is suspect.
    Wish I had more of those.

6. Atlas

I'll post the ones I trust when I can, part of what I would like to see here is a sharing of more sources that might actually be useful for a heads up.

Here is a question for you @twp. Do you have a trusted local source for news that might effect you locally?

7. twp

Locally, no I don't. I have prepper friends but they don't have any more info than I do from the 'net. Our local newspaper has been going downhill for a decade and is now just an echo for USA Today.

I'm in Reno, NV. We have some commercial AM/FM radio stations but in a university town, the majority are liberal orientated. I also don't listen to much radio any more. Only so many hours in the day and audio is too slow for me. I've been spoiled by the 'net, where I can pick what I want to see/read instead of waiting for the scheduled radio shows.

I do want a police/ambulance band scanner...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018