1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How secure is your home?

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Burglars Explain how they Broke into Homes
    Posted on November 2, 2016 by FerFAL
    The Modern Survivalist

[​IMG]

Home security is a top concern. It is today and it sure is after a socioeconomic breakdown. Maybe one of the weakest point I see on nearly all American preppers is home security. Having guns means you have means of self-defense, it doesn’t mean that your house is more of a hard target.
    This article from 12News is well worth the time it takes to read it and has some good first-hand information about how burglars operate.

Here are the top five lessons:

1)Burglars will look for jewellery, electronics, cash, credit cards and guns. One burglar said that NRA stickers means there’s guns to be stolen.

Not mentioned in the article but I know this to be true, many criminals also look for drugs, legal or otherwise, either for personal consumption or for selling.

2)All burglars CHECK IF YOU ARE HOME. They knock on your door and if someone answers they ask for directions, pretend to be lost or to be looking for someone else. Some even pretend to be doing surveys.

3)They prefer breaking in early morning or afternoon when people are working and kids are in school. Most of them access through UNLOCKED windows and doors. Some kicking down the door if locked.

4)The ideal house to break in? They looked for homes with big fences and overgrown trees or bushes. “Homes AWAY FROM OTHER HOMES, blind spots, older window frames, cheap wooden doors,” wrote a burglar. “Large trees, bushes or shrubs around the home, or very reserved and conservative neighbours,” wrote another inmate.

“Nice home with nice car = A person with money,” another said.

[​IMG]

Simplisafe2 Wireless Home Security System 8-piece Plus Package

5)How to make your home a hard target? Keeps doors and windows locked. Large dogs are one of your best deterrents. Smaller ones don’t seem to do the trick nearly as well. Install an alarm, most intruders said they would leave immediately if a security alarm went off.

Most burglars consider a car parked on the driveway to be a sure-fire sign of someone being home. TV or radio noise also made them think twice about breaking in.

“Put bars on your windows and doors, get an alarm, keep an extra car in the driveway, keep lights, TVs and radios on when you leave your home,” read one questionnaire.

“Home alarm, know your neighbour so they can report suspicious people around the neighbourhood,” said a burglar.

FerFAL

2. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Member

I live in a third floor apartment (top floor), so I have some advantages, and some disadvantages. As long as the power is on, there are alarms on the emergency stairs. There are no 'regular' stairs, only the elevators. Elevators are easy to secure, power on or off. The stairs a bit more difficult, but doable. There are three sets on each floor. The door locks are on batteries, so even with a power outage they are still secure. Do have a balcony deck, but it faces an internal courtyard, so I do not have much risk there, but do always keep the deck door locked and further secured. Even with the front door fairly secure, even if it was to be opened by someone that has stolen a pass key, they still would have significant trouble getting in. Will not say why, but they would. Same with the deck door.

Each floor has 'smoking' balconies on each end of the hallway, but, again, on the third floor there is a much smaller risk. But they are more difficult to secure. That would take some help. But, again, as long as I am secure in my apartment, it is not too big of a risk.

I do have several more security features, but am not going to give them out. You know, just in case.

Just my opinion.

Quietsurvivalist and Atlas like this.
  3. Quietsurvivalist

Quietsurvivalist Moderator Staff Member

Yup, you don't have to have it totally secure, just more secure than the neighbors. Anything making it more difficult makes a lazy thief look somewhere else, most of the time.

For the determined ones, there are surprises.....

Jerry D Young and Atlas like this.
  4. Atlas

A good point in that article is timing. Not only is it that they pick easy targets that have obvious scores, they do it during the day. Talking with a local LEO friend, he says the only people that break into houses at night here are Crack heads who are totally whacked out and the super dope house fake police raids that are basically warring drug factions. Most of the other burglaries are during the day when people are at work.

That being said, having a routine that is irregular and not broadcasting wealth are good places to start.

Have you guys looked into or have thoughts on how to secure exterior doors well?

5. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Member

Yes on securing exterior doors.

1. Get a good one. Steel clad solid core.
    2. No glass in the door and no side lights.
    3. Attach the frame directly to the studs with long screws. A bunch of them.
    4. Ditto the hinges and strike plate.
    5. Use a multi-point locking system with anti-defeat features.
    6. Use a audio/visual monitor so you know who is out there. Not just directly in front.
    7. Use an air lock entry so no one can get a running start at the door, or use several people on a battering ram.
    8. Have both outside the door and inside the door deterrents. (overhead, at the side, and/or in the floor)

Just a few ideas off the top of my head.

6. Atlas

Have you seen these?

DOOR REINFORCER

I made my own, but for those who can't it's good stuff.

7. Overlander

Overlander Active Member

Aside from door reinforcements, I also like (Though haven't yet had an opportunity to use) the 3M Security film for windows and sidelights on doors. This stuff is ridiculously strong and will deter most any thief.

8. Atlas

I plan on trying some of that stuff out at some point. We have a glass door that my wife won't give up, so I have to figure something out.