How available is food in your local stores?

twp

Admin, DuckDuckGo No Longer Recommended
Staff member
Thanks for the report @jimLE

twp

Staff member
Earlier report in post #33 https://www.prepperboards.com/threads/how-available-is-food-in-your-local-stores.3391/post-25985

Shopping report, today 9/1/20
No limits on raw meats
Chicken Thighs 0.78/lb (lower price compared to last month)
Hamburger 2.98/lb (lower price compared to last month)
Pork chops 1.78/lb (higher price compared to last month plus the package size was smaller)

TP was limited one package of any variety, but you could buy more than one variety of TP... weird?

We went to Walmart and Sams Club. Walmart appears to be renovating their store and some shelves were empty. I don't know if that represents and actual lack of stock or just moving stock to the back room while the renovation is happening.
Sam's Club had no visible shortages of product on their shelves.

twp

Staff member
Today was shopping day in Reno:
Pork Chops, $1.14/lb (Down from last month)
Chicken Thighs, $0.92/lb (Up from last month)
Hamburger, $3.23/lb Ouch! (Up from last month)
No canned tomatoes or tomato sauce in several stores...
No empty shelves visible.

Dogman

I went to winco today and stocked up on some canned meats...Would you believe TREET canned meat is back on the shelf???

WolfBrother

What’s in a name? That which we call SPAM by any other name would still taste about the same.

Apologies to W Shakespeare.

According to Wikipedia Treet is a canned meat like SPAM but made of chicken and pork with a finer grind.

twp

Staff member
I haven't seen TREET in well over 20 years. Lots of Saltpetre (Sodium Nitrite) plus regular salt (Sodium Chloride). You can boil it just like SPAM and discard the boil water. The flavor is much better then.

jimLE

I figure.Folks is either buying it up again.or the manufactures are slow at work.if not both.

twp

Staff member
Pre-election fears? Expectations of needing to clean the toilet after an "accident"? Stocking up seems likely, but those items are not high on my list of necessary Prepper stocks.

Manufacturing/shipping/warehousing troubles/slowdowns also seem likely.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
This was the only odd thing I noticed while shopping yesterday.
20201010_174232.jpg

Reactions: twp

twp

Staff member
That coin shortage is odd. Even if the raw metal for coins costs more than the value of the coin, it is nothing in comparison to the amount of fiat "money" being created by the FED Bank. That suggests an actual shortage of the Metals themselves.

Possible reasons:
1) Mines not producing enough.
2) No stockpile of the metals.
3) Shipping not moving the metals themselves.
4) Refineries not running fast enough.

I cannot confirm the above, it is just speculation on my part.

jimLE

5) someone or some people have certain things on hold.and delaying delivery's

twp

Staff member
Your item #5 seems very likely. I have little (none) trust in those who are "in control" with respect to physical money, including Gold and Silver.

Have any of you noted the price on US Silver Eagle coins? $69 last I heard.... Ouch.

soyer38301

When I was on campus last week I stopped by the snack shop to grab something to drink. Pulled out my cash only to have the student worker say "we aren't accepting cash". I asked why and they told me covid. Really? Idiots everywhere.

Told them no thanks. Not going to use my card for a 2 dollar drink.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

twp

Staff member
An example of how the students are being "brainwashed" by the schools and by the government...
So, the worker was willing to touch a credit card but not physical money? :rolleyes: