How available is food in your local stores?

twp

Admin, DuckDuckGo No Longer Recommended
Staff member
We have 12 days before our next shopping trip, so I haven't seen what is in stock (or not).

What are you seeing in your area?
How much is on the shelves?
What are prices like?

soyer38301

Last I was at the store most things were in decent supply.

Meat was higher per pound. Not great quantities but available. What I did find as far as meat goes...tried to purchase a package deal from a local butcher...said they were not doing those right now because of the volitility of the market. Going to speak to the farmer neighbor that raises cattle. And see what I can work out for a half of beef.

Flour was pretty scarce as was yeast.

Canned goods, rice, and pasta were in good supply. Plenty of vegies to be had.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dogman

Where I am at we seem to have zero shortages on anything..One thing I have been stocking up on is summer sausage....1/2 a sausage and some rice...That's a good meal...

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I had to stop into the local store today. There was some TP, but not much, and the rest of the store was pretty well stocked. The checker said they were real close to dropping the coronavirus rules and that she was tired of it.

Reactions: twp

WolfBrother

Shelves are filling back up.

Meat is higher and limited in selection.

The flour section seems to be staying on the v e r y s l o w to get back filled up path. Flour, corn meal, yeast the basic baking stuff.

jimLE

I did my primary shopping back on the 6th of the month.only shortage I saw was on bacon.there was 4 or 5 sections in the bacon section with bacon.rest was empty.including the 2Lb and 3Lb packages was gone.

twp

Staff member
I miss having bacon. It's been too expensive for us for many months.

jimLE

store bought bacon bits cost even more.plus they don't taste right.so I buy a 3Lb package and make my own,in which that'll last me 2 to 3 months.

twp

Staff member
@jimLE, about how much does 3lb of bacon cost in your area? Assuming you can find it in stores.

jimLE

It depends on which one I buy,it'll cost between $14 and $18.

twp

Staff member
Too high for us and we're seeing $5 for 12 ounces or $6.67/lb. No bulk packaging.

PS: at least they're not selling it by the slice... yet...

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I buy it as a treat now and then, but for being a cheap cut of meat it sure is expensive! I do enjoy eating bacon, but it goes straight to my hips.

twp

Staff member
We received the normal set of food flyers in the mail today, after missing them for at least two weeks.

I notice that there are fewer ads for meats and prices are higher by about 25%.

There were NO ads for hamburger/ground beef. None.
Chicken was about the same price, but fewer cuts were offered. Whole chickens were about $7 each.
Pork was more limited with higher prices. We usually buy pork chops in 12 lb bulk packs, but that was not advertised. It might be available in the store, but just not on sale.
Bacon on sale for $4/lb limit of four packages then $5/lb. I miss bacon...

I looked at the Safeway flyer and saw only higher prices, even with their "club card". We don't patronize Safeway because of that "club card" being required (Ihre Papiere Bitte!) to get the sale prices. Ze Vill Pay Our Price Or Do Without!:mad:

[edit] I saw more ads for fish than I recall from past weeks. I don't buy fish in stores, so I can't compare prices. Lots of Tilapia for sale, Lobster at $32/lb (ouch), Shrimp at $7/lb,

Last edited:

WolfBrother

Is it my imagination or are the restocked shelves starting to thin out again?

twp

Staff member
Shelves were "full" here, but some items were not there, like 12 packs of green beans in Costco. We went with a #10 can of green beans, which is not equal to the 12 pack.
Meats were "normal" in terms of what was on display. I don't know what the store had in the rear store rooms.

Dogman

I try to shop around but the mask situation has me going to winco...They appear well stocked on all of the stuff i needed...

soyer38301

Local store near us seems to be fairly well stocked. Ground beef, ground turkey, chicken and pork. Prices are higher but available.

I need to talk to my neighbor as he has beef cows. Might buy one from him and have it processed rather than buy from the processor...might be cheaper. Split it with my sister...and make her drive here to get it
One way to get them to visit lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

twp

Staff member
We have Winco in the city, but too far to travel from home.

I wish we could split a cow with several other people, but we don't have freezer space for much. I'd rather not pay for a frozen locker in a local butcher shop.

jimLE

I haven't done my shopping for the month yet.because of that I'don't know yet.the small town store's here seem to be well stocked thoe. I'm waiting for the swab test to come in 1st then I'll do my shopping.

twp

Staff member
Crossing our fingers for you. Oops, that hand gesture may no longer be PC...:D