1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

home canning what you eat..

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by jimLE, May 25, 2017.

1. jimLE

jimLE Member

i started home canning in 2014..in which im glad that i did..on acount it means.that i dont have to cook what i want to eat,each n every time.just heat n eat. pluss,what i can dont have preservatives the store bought canned foods have.at this time.i have. chilli,beans n ham,beans n spam,beans n franks.chicken.and some other foods as well..next month,i'll be getting whats needed for chicken soup..and if all goes well.i'll get some other foods for canning as well..

Atlas likes this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

What recipes do you like?

3. jimLE

jimLE Member

Different soups.chili. beans thats done up with different tapes of meat.i plan on canning chicken soup next month. .

Atlas likes this.
  4. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Member

I am not set up to can at the moment. But I remember helping my mother when I was a youngster. She did not can many combinations. It was mostly all individual items. She much preferred to use them to put together various recipes when needed. Meats, vegetables, broths, etc.

She would use a few things as seasonings, such as bacon or ham in beans and such, but simply as an adjunct, not a primary ingredient.

It can be very difficult to choose ingredients that have similar cooking times at the correct pressures to prevent some element not being processed well enough, or something just turning to mush.

We used quite a few pint jars for broths, and meats especially, with a few other things in pints. Since there were 8 of us, it took a few quarts every meal to feed us all.

Just my opinion.

Atlas likes this.
  5. jimLE

jimLE Member

true on how certain foods will turn to mush,if not careful.i use my experience from cooking and eating it then n there..and i also use use the canning directions at the same time..i've had only one complete failure since i started canning.and that was a batch of beef stew i made. all of it fumited. not sure what went wrong with it either.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Atlas likes this.
  6. Atlas

I'm hoping to get back into home canning soon. With some luck I'll be able to start producing enough this year to put some back. My first year at this property water killed me. My irrigation was the serious issue. Last year the deer ravaged my garden while I was away, just before things got going and too late to start over.

Hopefully in a couple month here I'll be able to ask you some questions @jimLE!

jimLE likes this.
  7. jimLE

jimLE Member

I canned 29 pints of chicken soup on the 23rd of last month. But haven't checked yet.just to make sure it's all sealed and good yet.

Atlas likes this.
  8. Atlas

Chicken soup is something that I haven't ever done. When I make blackberry jam in a couple of months I will have to give that a try as well.

9. jimLE

jimLE Member

I consider bowl of home made chicken soup real nice on a cool or cold day...i plan on doing the same with a turkey after thanksgiving.and they've gone on sale.

Atlas likes this.
  10. Atlas

That is another great idea. It's hard to think of soup when the temps are so high like they are right now, but putting some back is a smart move.

jimLE likes this.
  11. jimLE

jimLE Member

Oh it aint hard for me to think of soups.lol. I've got thin/watery chilli for everyday eating.thick chilli for frito chilli pie and chilli dogs..and who knows what else.in which each can be quickly heated in a microwave or on a stovetop.

Atlas likes this.
  12. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member

I'm doing dry, oven canning of things like rice, beans and rolled oats. I am using food jars, not standard canning jars. The seals are a rubber compound which responds to boiling by returning to roughly it's original shape.

Not all food jars will have this kind of lid seal material, so be cautious.

I test by boiling the lids only, for 10 minutes, inspecting the rubber seal itself and then testing the jar/lid seal by doing an empty can test. I heat the empty jar in the oven at about 250 F for an hour. The DRIED lid is then screwed on and the jar is allowed to cool. When cool, the lid should snap/click down like regular canning jars. Test this with your finger to ensure that it does have a dent.

I find that some sauce jars (not all brands) work well for this.
    Once once you have found a brand with will re-seal, then try some rice or beans in a batch run.

Wash and dry the jars (drying is critical).

Put the lids in boiling water, now. Boil for at least 8-10 minutes.
    Remove and carefully dry the lids.

Fill dry jars to 1/2 inch from the top with rice/beans.

Place the jars, on a flat pan, in the 250 F oven for a full hour. The beans must be thoroughly heated.

Remove jars and while still hot, screw the lids down on each one, tight.

Wait until cooled and check for a seal on each one. The lid should snap/click downward.

Of course, you can always use standard canning jars (like Ball) with ring seals. Same process, same times, same check for lid seal.

Atlas likes this.