home canning what you eat..

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by jimLE, May 25, 2017.

1. jimLE

jimLE New Member

i started home canning in 2014..in which im glad that i did..on acount it means.that i dont have to cook what i want to eat,each n every time.just heat n eat. pluss,what i can dont have preservatives the store bought canned foods have.at this time.i have. chilli,beans n ham,beans n spam,beans n franks.chicken.and some other foods as well..next month,i'll be getting whats needed for chicken soup..and if all goes well.i'll get some other foods for canning as well..

Crawlingtoy likes this.
  2. Crawlingtoy

Crawlingtoy Moderator Staff Member

What recipes do you like?

3. jimLE

jimLE New Member

Different soups.chili. beans thats done up with different tapes of meat.i plan on canning chicken soup next month. .

Crawlingtoy likes this.
  4. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Member

I am not set up to can at the moment. But I remember helping my mother when I was a youngster. She did not can many combinations. It was mostly all individual items. She much preferred to use them to put together various recipes when needed. Meats, vegetables, broths, etc.

She would use a few things as seasonings, such as bacon or ham in beans and such, but simply as an adjunct, not a primary ingredient.

It can be very difficult to choose ingredients that have similar cooking times at the correct pressures to prevent some element not being processed well enough, or something just turning to mush.

We used quite a few pint jars for broths, and meats especially, with a few other things in pints. Since there were 8 of us, it took a few quarts every meal to feed us all.

Just my opinion.

Crawlingtoy likes this.
  5. jimLE

jimLE New Member

true on how certain foods will turn to mush,if not careful.i use my experience from cooking and eating it then n there..and i also use use the canning directions at the same time..i've had only one complete failure since i started canning.and that was a batch of beef stew i made. all of it fumited. not sure what went wrong with it either.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Crawlingtoy likes this.