1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Grey web"???

Discussion in 'STEM-Science Technology Engineering Mathematics' started by hypnos, Sep 11, 2019.

1. hypnos

hypnos Moderator Staff Member

I used this idea once, unfortunately google has since changed its policies drastically with two factor ID ETC.

it was a workable, and very simple hack.

Step 1: Create a bogus email.

Step 2: give the bogus email credentials to several people you trust to have it (including the password)

Step 3: only send emails to the email address itself. Simple self address, and or drafts.

You have a message, media and file sharing application without a single owner. With no ownership its possible anyone or everyone could be blamed for the activity on it. It is also possible that no one person could be held responsible for things on that particular email, and if using proxy to access it from multiple points, maybe impossible to locate one or any of the users.

Problems? Applications? Is it a stupid idea?

Atlas likes this.
  2. soyer38301

soyer38301 Active Member

Hmmm...as a network guy you always leave a footprint. Unless you are a very good hacker and can mask or change that footprint it can almost always be traced back to you.

Thar being said, it is a good way to share info without broadcasting it widely. Might be worth a look.

A lot depends on what it is you are trying to accomplish...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  3. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Active Member

My opinion
    It will and won’t work.

Will - for the most part everything you wrote is true. The big HOWEVER is covered in Won’t below.

Won’t - there are professionals who can do a forensic type evaluation of writing. They are better than 90 % accurate identifying which writings belong to the same author. Then if given a sample of a specific individuals writing they are just as accurate as to whether or not that writing goes with another writing.

By writing, I mean texts, messages, emails, etc. Most people compose their messages and such in a distinct, repeated manner.

So if TPTB really want to - the could probably tie something written using the common email name to a specific person.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  4. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

Too many ways to track traffic on the 'net. It might work for a limited number of messages (one or two), but would leave a path back to me.

If more than one person has the address/password, it is already insecure.

5. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Active Member

More than one person is the idea. Say 10 people. Call the email ID Chimera. All ten knows password.
    #3 signs on as Chimera writes an email to Chimera and sends it. Then any of the 10 can see the message. There would need to be a way to let a specific individual know whether a message was for them. If the 10 practice proper password protocol the email addy would be a shared 10 person somewhat private message service.

Of course the message headers will contain ip addys and such. So tying emails to differing computers would not be that difficult

6. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

This might be compared to how terrorists use Facebook or Twitter for comms. So many messages that no pattern is obvious. But a high message volume also makes it possible to do computer analysis.

hypnos, Atlas and WolfBrother like this.
  7. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

A similar way to do it would be through the site or any forum for that matter.

1. Create a sub-forum that is password protected.

2. Create a user that is "anonymous" and only use this account to post through some kind of IP address scrambler.

3. Users may enter and download, but not post on their personal account. Or another anonymous account is created and the password is passed from user to user, each time they log in they change it.

That being said, I really don't know why anyone would do this. It would create a pretty big risk for the owner of the domain.

twp and hypnos like this.
  8. hypnos

hypnos Moderator Staff Member

I agree with what you are saying, but I have a solution for that also.

If you all buy a certain book of crosswords or puzzles, you could go to the solutions page and find the words that get your meaning across. Formulate a sentence with numbers, or alphanumeric substitution, change file names (like pictures of memes) to contain instructions or other codified info.

Remember the movies where the bad guy cuts out words from magazines and pastes them into a message? This practice in TV has real benefits for circumventing handwriting analysis.

twp and Atlas like this.