1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by ThatNovaScotian, Jan 31, 2020.

1. ThatNovaScotian

ThatNovaScotian New Member

Hello everyone;
    Thank you for having me! You may call me G, or Gee; basically..I'll respond to basically anything. Anyway, Im a 35 year old male from Nova Scotia, Canada.
    I've been aware of prepping for quite a long time, but never really knew where to start. Ive been watching Prepping shows for the last few years; always enjoy seeing other peoples' preps and what they're doing.
    I am hoping to learn alot from this group and hope to start prepping of my own.
    Thanks again for having me!

Atlas likes this.
  2. ThatNovaScotian

What I am hoping to start a prep for, is an explosion or out of control fire as a result of a catastropic event from the local ammunition we have located just outside the city.
    I am quite outside the yellow circle but still, the ammunition depot contains A LOT of things that can go Kaboom, as its the stores facility for our navy's torpedoes and other ammunition for the ships.
    I am hoping the members here could recommend what they would do in that situation? What supplies would you pack in a bug out bag or even just have as an "incase". Anything would be a big help!

Attached Files:

Atlas, WolfBrother and twp like this.
  3. twp

twp Make DuckDuckGo.com Your Search Engine. Staff Member

Hello Gee. Thanks for introducing yourself. I hope some of our members can respond to your question about the content of a hypothetical bug-out bag and in particular the hypothetical event of an major explosion at your local ammo dump.

Who wants to start this? Let me recommend that we start a new thread with a title which is more representative of the question being asked.

Atlas likes this.
  4. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Well-Known Member

Hi, Welcome to the forum. Share what you know, ask what you do not know. My opinion - the only dumb question is the one you have and don't ask.

Two separate events - one that could lead to the explosion. My opinion:

0. I do not know your area nor you well enough to get very specific with recommendations.

1. Fire in the storage area.

2. Explosion of the storage area.

General answers.

1. FIRE - LEAVE. You don't know if the wind will shift and bring the toxic byproducts filled smoke your way. You don't know if the fire will cause an explosion.
    Be prepared to stay away a minimum of a week. Pre-plan by having a relative or friend you could stay with or keep enough money on hand to do a hotel/motel for a week.
    IF no other way - have a place where you could bug out to and camp. Might be a bit tough to do in the dead of winter. If camping, if possible have a shelter prebuilt with stored supplies and firewood.

2. EXPLOSION - If you survive, LEAVE. You don't know if the wind will shift and bring the toxic byproducts filled smoke your way. You don't know if there will be secondary or tertiary explosions that will bring stuff your way.
    Be prepared to stay away a minimum of a week. Pre-plan by having a relative or friend you could stay with or keep enough money on hand to do a hotel/motel for a week.
    IF no other way - have a place where you could bug out to and camp. Might be a bit tough to do in the dead of winter. If camping, if possible have a shelter prebuilt with stored supplies and firewood.

Atlas and twp like this.
  5. twp

Gee, with respect to your actual bugout bag, If you can carry it, have at least enough food to last for the minimum one week, as WolfBrother stated above. Don't plan on having access to drinkable water, due to the possible contamination from the munitions. Carry at least a gallon in the pack plus have a water filter. Expect to need at least a gallon a day, so when you evacuate, move toward a known safe water source.

If you can, have a wheeled cart to carry more water.

All of the above is just to keep you alive. If you want to be more comfortable (you do), then have camping gear, waterproof tarp, tent and sleeping bag as a minimum. A change of clothing, suitable to the season is a good idea too. Gloves and a waterproof coat make sense.

If you look at the list,above, the weight is a major factor. Plan on how you will carry it. OR make multiple cache locations, in different routes away from home. This will reduce the weight you need to carry.

Atlas likes this.
  6. twp

Atlas likes this.
  7. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the boards Gee! @WolfBrother has some excellent advice for you.

8. ThatNovaScotian

@WolfBrother Thank you for the information. In regards to bugging out, I actually have been in contact with a local prepper Ive met online on IPN and we've arranged a deal that if during a situation, whether explosion, alien invasion, whatever, and if I can make it to his place, I am able to camp out. His property is a meeting area for other preppers as well. I have always loved living off the land ever since I was a kid and would go on cadet camping trips and we'd have to bivouac and set latrines and such. Always good knowing you can survive off the bare essentials, Im never far from my copy of the SAS Survival Book.
    Where I live im basically at the end of Nova Scotia. the ocean is my neighbour and from there its a straight shot across the ocean. I have a couple spots IF I need to bug out temporarily where ive scouted camping sites and we are run rampant with pheasant and fish and trees are in abundance for fire/shelter.

twp and Atlas like this.
  9. twp

Now look at creating some cache locations so you don't need to carry as much gear/supplies in a evacuation scenario. Consider that you may run into other people doing the same thing. So have alternate routes ready, just in case.

Atlas likes this.
  10. WolfBrother

OK, since you have a place to go and are part of a group.

0. Lay in detailed topographic maps covering from your place to the place to go. Get a compass, get and keep current declinations, learn how to do land navigation with map and compass. That will make Justin happy.

1. Since you have a place to go:
    a. Can you build something like a 16 foot wide by 16 foot long by 12 foot side wall high shelter there ( in metric speak more or less 5 meters by 5 meters by 4 meters) small space, small is easier to heat than big. Room for a 10 foot by 16 foot loft ( 2 1/3 meter by 5 meter - all metric measurements are MORE OR LESS measurements. I'm basing my size on a standard sized plywood board).
    b. If you can also dig down below the frost line to have a 16 x 16 x however deep storage area beneath the main floor. That allows you to pre-position a huge amount of supplies ahead of time. You'll also want to stack firewood. That will make Justin happy.

2. Since you have a place to go:
    a. do a leisurely drive from your place to that place. Note distance and amount of fuel needed.
    b. do several more leisurely drives from your place using different routes. Note distance and amount of fuel needed.
    c. store 3 times the amount of stabilized fuel needed for the largest amount of fuel needed. That will make Justin happy.
    d. take a hike from your place to that place. Note amount of time needed. That will make Justin happy.

3. Set BOB up for 3 times the amount of time needed for the hike (tent, sleeping bag, warm clothes, food, water, tools, stove, stove fuel etc). I'd suggest a game cart to haul stuff because Justin sometimes will be around. You know Justin Case you can't drive there or even go there BOB will be all you have and a game cart makes BOB easier to carry.

twp and Atlas like this.
  11. WolfBrother

Current declination and map reading/land nav:
    https://www.prepperboards.com/threa...c-north-pole-is-still-moving.1747/#post-12142

An Alaskan trapper Grub and Gear list:
    https://www.prepperboards.com/threads/grub-and-gear–lessons-learned-from-an-alaskan-trapper.2923/

TWP said this:
    My opinion - if you haven't already downloaded/read most of JDYoung's stuff - you're WAY, WAY, WAY behind the curve.

What are the firearm ownership rules you have to obey?

Atlas likes this.