1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand Solar Minimum

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Watcher, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Watcher

Watcher New Member

Anybody preparing for the GSM?

Atlas likes this.
  2. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Not in particular. I recognize that it may have some affect on our weather, worldwide, but I'm not doing anything specific to this.

My preps do consider weather variations outside of the current four seasons but I'm not ready for a global heating or cooling cycle which might last beyond a year or so.

3. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I'm not specifically preparing for it, though I do think it is a real possibility. Winters can be harsh here at times , so all of the preps that I have for that would probably fall into the same category. More than anything, I hope that it's real, and wait to see what happens next.

What preps are you making for this one @Watcher?

4. Atlas

I've been doing some more reading on the GSM. Very interesting indeed.

https://www.theorganicprepper.com/grand-solar-minimum/
    From the sounds of it, our friends in the UK and on the east coast of the US might feel the effects the most. @Sally Rudd and @lonewolf are you two prepping for this?

5. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

I hadn't thought of preparing for something like this,untill now.i clicked the link.and read the mentioned the winter of 2009-2010..thats the only winter in which,we've seen snow here,since i moved back to east texas August of 2007.. We got 3 to 5 inches of snow that winter.chance's are we can't fully prepare for a gsm.if a gsm event should get real cold/bad..but we can at least prepare at least somewhat if not quite a bit.

Atlas likes this.
  6. Atlas

7. twp

How much shipping goes through the arctic straits? I know the Strait of Magellan (antarctic) has major international traffic, but how does that compare to the arctic straits near the north pole?

8. Atlas

9. twp

Shallow water on the Russian routes. An increase in ice in both hemispheres translates to lower ocean levels and more difficult passage.

On the other hand, Global warming means higher sea levels and easier passage.

Personally I think either theory (warming/cooling) is still undecided. There is a Huge (Yuge) amount of rhetoric being spewed intended to sway public opinion. This translates to changes in money flow as each side tries to gain capital to finance their plans and, more importantly, to sway voters to support their candidates.

We, as preppers, are struck in the middle because we need to address both possibilities. Stock more blankets while at the same time building a personal Arc... Just in case.

jimLE and Atlas like this.