Gatorade - an opinion

WolfBrother

Background:
The Nephrologist at the hospital I was stationed was a Gatorade guru. The medical fellowship team he was a part of was the team who proved how and why electrolyte drinks did and didn’t work. Long story short - of the various ingredients ( sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sucrose, fructose, or whatever other sugars ) - if there were too much in relation to the amount of water, the body would think it was a food and take hours to digest it. If not, the body would think the electrolyte replacement drink was water and would absorb it in 30 min or less.

So mixing in more of the dry mix to hurry the electrolyte replacement doesn’t work. It’s actually better to mix a little less and drink more than the other way round.

They sell sealed straws of dry Gatorade mix at the various box stores and big grocery stores. The straws are pre-measured to be mixed with 20 oz of water.

One of the available sizes of premixed Gatorade is 20 oz.

My opinion:
I know about Gatorade. It works. One of my Christmas presents I’ll be giving away this year is a pre-mixed bottle and a cleaned empty one with as many straws as I can get into it. Along with one of my usual long winded, boring “Do it this way because it’s the right way.” speeches.

I think such a combination, in clouding the dpi it the right way speech should be in every preppers load out.

End my opinion.

twp

Admin, Startpage = GOOD. Google, DuckDuckGo = BAD.
Staff member
I used to drink a lot of Gatorade, but that was back when I was much more physically active: 10 miles a day on a bicycle.
I still like it but don't stock it. I think I'll add it to our shopping list and build a stockpile.

WolfBrother

Let’s face It. In some situations we‘ll be doing a lot of strenuous work in hot environments, we’ll need it.

Again - mu opinion.

twp

Staff member
Multiple decades ago (Decades) they had a flavor called "Citrus" which I really liked. No longer available and no, it was not "orange" or "grapefruit" flavor.

WolfBrother

While Gatorade is good... I use Pedialyte... it has a higher electrolite content.
That's true.

I do not know that much about Pedialyte. It does have more electrolytes and less sugar. It may be a different balance that allows the body to absorb it like water rather than digest it. (Goes to the amount of time it takes to get the body to get the water 30 min for absorption to 4+ hours for digestion)

I do know about Gatorade. It does work. It is less expensive. And is available in a mix it yourself format which lends itself to being easily stored or carried by a Prepper.

The following is the Pre-Y2K WHO formula for homemade Oral Rehydration Solution along with my recommendations at the end.
Table Salt (NaCl) 1/2 tsp.*
Salt Substitute (KCl) 1/2 tsp.*
Baking Soda 1/2 tsp.
Table Sugar 2 tablespoons
Tap Water 1 Liter (= 1 Qt. 2 tablespoons)

Chill. Can be served with fresh lemon squeezed into it. One can also mix it with Crystal Light or "sugar-free Kool-Aid" - don't use Regular Kool-Aid as it takes extra sugar which can worsen diarrhea.

This tastes quite salty to someone who isn't dehydrated.

NOTE: *Morton's makes that is half NaCl (table salt) and half Potassium salt (KCl) and is called "Lite Salt" - if that is what your grocery store has, simply use 1 teaspoon of the the Lite Salt in place of of the table salt and potassium salt.

I highly recommend
1) copying down this recipe and putting it where it'll be easy to find when you need it and
2) getting some potassium containing salt substitute--add it to your shopping list now so that it is there when you need it!

Punty

I buy Pedialyte in a 6oz tubes, comes 6 per box for $10.... each tube will make 2.8 liters.

I didn't know you could do that! Wow, I am going to look into that.

I actually don't care that much for Gatorade....if I had a choice, I would prefer Tang, in a diluted mixture from the norm...I just like it better, but Tang has more sugar and less salt.

I did find this recipe online that people may find interesting;

Electrolyte Water Is Easy to Make​

Making electrolyte water is a cost-effective and healthy way to replace fluid and electrolytes when needed.

Here is an easy lemon-lime sports drink recipe to try at home:

Yield: 4 cups (946 ml)

Serving size: 1 cup (237 ml)

Ingredients:

• 1/4 tsp of salt
  • 1/4 cup (60 ml) of lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup (60 ml) of lime juice
  • 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) of unsweetened coconut water
  • 2 cups (480 ml) of cold water
Unlike store-bought versions, this recipe provides a refreshing boost of electrolytes without added sugar or any artificial colors or flavors.

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/the-7-best-drinks-for-dehydration-article

At any rate, I can say this...I have never felt the need for heavy electrolyte loading. I suspect it is overbblown unless you're a marine in body armor running through the deserts of Afghanistan.

I have had days where I am digging or working hard all day in the hot sun, and just drink water and beer, and it works just fine. But, on extra brutal occasions, where I am really busting my behind, dripping sweat, in crazy heat, working non-stop.....I can tell you from experience, that the ultimate energy/electrolyte drink is a Bloody Mary. I'm not kidding. I don't mean that because I am some kind of alcoholic, I am telling you because I have personal experience, and you can literally feel it surging into your body when you're really hurting. It's an amazing recovery drink, or sustainability drink. Make it without alcohol if you need to...but trust me...far superior to any Gatorade or sports drink. Don't ask me the science behind it, I never looked into it, but I never felt such a rush before when my body is hot, covered in sweat, and I am at the point of exhaustion.

twp

Staff member
@Punty, I'd modify that recipe to use KCL also, to give you the potassium. Sold as "Salt Lite".

Punty

I have been doing a little web surfing, and I think there is a better option....one that is obvious once you think about it.

The running community, marathoners, tri-athletes, and that crowd, have several lines of electrolyte drink mix powders and tablets that are popular. I particularly like the idea of the tablets, small and compact, come in tubes. Nuun, High5 Zero, Hydralite, a few f the brand names I ran across that seem popular. They also come in varieties that allow you to choose whether you want carbs or not, caffeine or not, sodium or not...etc.

I may pick some up and give them a taste test on my camping trips this summer.

twp

Staff member
Looking forward to your test report...

Jerry D Young

The last time I used Pedialyte it was worse than Gatorade.

I carry Medi-Lyte electrolyte tablets and plenty of water. I am highly susceptible to heat cramps and heat exhaustion. Been close to heatstroke twice, so they told me, but never got to that point. I had many cases of heat exhaustion when I was growing up and into my twenties, until I learned how to deal with it more effectively.

In the Boot Heel of Missouri, we often had temperatures of 85℉ and 85% humidity and up. It just drained me. I could work outside maybe ten minutes and have to stop and rest for twenty. I adjusted my rates to account for it, but it was not long that with it, coupled with the diagnosis of chronic hypoglycemia, I had to stop plumbing and find something else to do. Finally got on as a contractor for an outfit that provided security services in the oil patch of Texas and Oklahoma.

I do not mess around with dehydration, as it can put me down quick and dirty, and it takes a very long time to get back up to speed, even with treatment.

Just my opinion.