1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freshsavers

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by Sally Rudd, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Well-Known Member

Some time ago I ordered a Freshsaver Handheld Vacuum Sealer and a set of Jar Sealers, mainly to seal jars of home dehydrated veg and fruit. The frozen peppers, mushrooms and onion I have dehydrated over the last week have been stored in jars and the jar sealer used in conjunction with the handheld sealer. It worked very well and has created a nice tight seal on the jars. You don't even need the hose. It will also be handy to seal saved seed in a jar as well as dried beans and other things. I might get some of the bags and make up some little kit bags and vac seal them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    hypnos, jimLE and Atlas like this.
  2. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I like these, compared to the plastic bag type savers. The jars are reusable ant they don't get holes like the plastic bags do.

Atlas likes this.
  3. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I have not heard of these before and I agree with @twp. How do they hold up?

4. Sally Rudd

I'm going to check the seals at the weekend. I tried a bag sealer and bags to store dehydrated food, but I found the sharp edges on the dried veg cut through the bags in storage. Sealing in a jar solves this problem.

Atlas likes this.
  5. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I have had this same issue as well. The jars make a whole lot more sense. I'll be looking forward to your feedback.

6. twp

Sally, I've had some luck reusing sauce jars for hot canning things like beans and rice. I boil the lids to soften the seal and screw them onto the filled, hot jars. Do you know of the jar attachments will handle a smaller lid sizes, ie. not a standard canning jar lid?

Atlas likes this.
  7. Sally Rudd

I'll give it a go, but I don't think it will work because of the screw action.

Atlas likes this.
  8. twp

Sally, I thought about it and you're correct, the lid needs to "float" to allow the vacuum to remove the air. The screw lid will not work... rats...

Atlas likes this.
  9. Sally Rudd

My thought too twp. only I struggled to put it into words:oops::D

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  10. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member Survival Class Instructor

Awesome, sally!

Atlas likes this.
  11. Sally Rudd

The seal is still good and I have put the jar of onions to the back of the cupboard to see how long they will keep. Normally I get a couple of years from home dried veg stored in a jar with an oxygen absorber so I'm really hoping this method will do the same and I can eliminate the cost of the oxygen absorbers, which are hugely expensive over here.

To Add, my storage is based on a rotation system and from experience the longest I have stored food is a couple of years before it's used and replaced.

Atlas, hypnos and jimLE like this.
  12. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member Survival Class Instructor

I've heard of people using "hot hands" disposable handwarmers as O2 absorbers. Sound logic I think, great post Sally!

Atlas likes this.