1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food Waste

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by twp, Aug 25, 2018.

1. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

This site investigates the claim:

FACT CHECK: Does 40 Percent Of Food In The US Never Get Eaten?

FACT CHECK: Does 40 Percent Of Food In The US Never Get Eaten?

It is worth reading just to get their numbers straight. Note that most of the research is not current, being up to a decade old. Still, there is a lot of wastage in our food system. That contributes to higher end cost to the consumer.

Consider that much of our commercial food production system, Farm to Factory to Consumer, involves a lot of selective sorting of foods before it reaches the Consumer. Much of the food which does not meet the specs for either canning or raw vegetable sales, is either recycled or thrown out. For example:

Inspections | FoodSafety.gov

Go to a local farmers market and look at the vegetables being offered. Ask yourself if that food would pass the inspections to make it into our supermarket/grocery stores?

I would certainly buy vegetables which are not "pretty" and which have visible spots.

As a Prepper, my own food plans DO include using foods which probably would never pass the rules and regulations for commercial food processing. That means that my own waste will (hopefully) be much smaller and will be returned to the garden/livestock feed cycle.

Atlas likes this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I believe food waste really is that bad. People just aren't hungry enough to worry about it yet.

The food from farmers markets never really struck me as ugly, but I never really thought of it that way. It's just different.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Well-Known Member

I have heard it said that up to half of all the food in the UK is never eaten but thrown out because it is overdated , most food if not all food is still edible even past its best before date, these dates are simply for the supermarket or supplier so that they don't get sued for selling bad food.

Atlas likes this.
  4. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Well-Known Member

A few supermarkets over here have what they call a Wonky Veg and Fruit range. The produce is not perfect, it's sold at a lower price and is very popular. It has helped enormously in distracting shoppers from buying just the perfect produce. Another chain store has recently announced the they will be removing use by and sell by dates from their whole fruit and veg (this does not apply to prepared items)
    As a keen gardener I appreciate the effort it takes to grow food and I use as much of my crop as I can, something is only discarded if it's inedible!
    Still there is far too much food waste over here too.

Morrisons sees sales of its wonky fruit & veg range soar

Wonky veg up but are supermarkets digging deep enough?

Our Perfectly Imperfect range

Wonky Fruit & Veg - Morrisons

Not So Pretty, But Just As Tasty!

And Sainsburys sell imperfect fruit and beg in their Basics range.

I frequently buy Wonky fruit and veg. The system is pretty much countrywide.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Atlas likes this.
  5. lonewolf

I have heard about the wonky veg range, as far as I have seen its only Morrisons and then only a few selected stores and none in my area. as usual its just a gimmick.

6. Atlas

Wonky. I love that word.

Stores around here don't do this, I wonder what they do with their wonky veggies?!

7. lonewolf

anything that isn't "standard" is ploughed back into the fields.

8. Atlas

Or used as feed for livestock?

9. lonewolf

a small proportion may be but I heard that most of it was ploughed back into the soil.
    or just dumped somewhere to rot.

10. Atlas

Do farmers in other countries get paid to kill crops like they do here? Market manipulation is the reason cited, but it seems pretty ridiculous.

11. lonewolf

its all down to the supermarkets, everything has to be the same size and shape, if it isn't they wont buy it.
    they pretty much have a stranglehold on farmers here, plenty of them get paid less for their milk than it costs to produce it, its crazy but that's how it is.

Atlas likes this.
  12. Atlas

13. lonewolf

I think things will change when we leave the EU.

14. Atlas

Does the EU subsidize crops like this?

15. lonewolf

the farmers get subsidies based on how much land they have, this is part of the European farm policy, post Brexit this will have to come from the money we save from not being a member of the EU "club".