1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flooding - Uninsured Farmers Face Existential Crisis As Floods Destroy 100s Of Millions Of Dollars I

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Apr 13, 2019.

1. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

Full title:
    Uninsured Farmers Face Existential Crisis As Floods Destroy 100s Of Millions Of Dollars In Crops

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-04-08/uninsured-farmers-face-existential-crisis-floods-destroy-100s-millions-dollars

Food costs expected to rise...

There is also a call for federal intervention, but even if the printing presses are cranked up to full speed again, the food simply is not there for those of us who want to eat...

The larger metropolitan areas of the entire country are dependent on food delivery...

I would hope that other farming areas of the country are able to increase their acreage in cultivation, but it may not be enough to cover the losses in the US midwest.

Please follow this closely and start stockpiling now.

Jerry D Young likes this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

My friend from Omaha says that no one had flood insurance since there was no rating bu FEMA for it being a flood plane. Now FEMA is offering people low interest loans to fix their homes.

Sounds like a scam to me.

Jerry D Young likes this.
  3. twp

What I'm reading suggests that many farmers are going out of business because of the loss of their uninsured stockpiles. They cannot afford to start over from scratch.

Whether those farms could be brought back into production, in at least a year from now, is another big question.

If big agriculture can buy up the smaller, privately owned farms, is something to watch. I don't think that is good for the farming business, but big agriculture may be the only ones with the money to do that.

Farming in other parts of the country may benefit from higher prices paid for their crops.

Preppers may be safer from this, assuming they have garden space already. Those with adequate food stores may be ride out the higher prices, for a while. I expect food prices to remain high for a minimum of a year and perhaps as much as 3-4 years.

Atlas and Jerry D Young like this.
  4. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Active Member

I believe that this, like several other elements of society, is the turning point for food production in the US. We may not be able to recover from this before everything comes to a head and something happens that will change our society forever.

Just my opinion.

jimLE, Atlas and twp like this.
  5. twp

Plan for the worst, hope for the best...

jimLE, Atlas and Jerry D Young like this.
  6. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Active Member

Always!

twp and Atlas like this.
  7. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Active Member

Not wishing to get nippy about this but a few things spring to mind here.

1) The only reason this catastrophe happened is greed. Farmers were holding at the farm to reduce the amount of produce on the market in an effort to keep the price inflated. t's funny how when a farmer holds back his produce until he thinks the price is right is good business to but if he loses his crop by doing so it's the govt's fault and they should be bailing him out.
    2) By choosing to store their grain on the farm it was up to the farmers to ensure it was safe, or insured, probably both.
    3) Why, when it's an individual without insurance or preps in this sort of position, preppers say they are foolish and called allsorts of names because they are crying for the govt to help them. BUT, now it's farmers, you're all saying the govt should help them!
    4) Let's see how quickly the unaffected farmers release their stored grain onto the market to make up for the shorfall....I don't think so! They will hang on to it for as long as possible until the price is right, not need considered. I can see your govt getting involved there to force them into it.
    So I hope you all have a good amount put by and you're ready to pay more in the store.

twp and Atlas like this.
  8. twp

@Sally Rudd you make a good point about other grains in storage, outside of the flooded areas, and that those who still have grains will sell to the highest bidder.

This country used to keep a "strategic reserve" of government purchased foods, such as cheese. I'm not sure have that reserve anymore. Questions will be asked of our government when those reserves are not released into the market.

With respect to the livestock which was drowned, I think that was more "the luck of the draw" because keeping livestock on the land is standard practice. The farmers loose and we consumers will pay more.

This is why we prep.

jimLE and Atlas like this.
  9. twp

Atlas likes this.
  10. jimLE

jimLE Active Member

i knew the price's would rise when i first heard about tge flooding.then the tornadoes hit where i live.i mainly scrooled through what was posted.i did my primary shopping on the 6th.I've. already seen gas prices go up.im glad that I've been taking advantage of the donations that's been brought to town.I've got enough bottled water to do me well over a month now.while we're under a boil water notice.that water is for drinking.coffee and cooking only.I've also gotten foods.paper towels and other item's. i should of grabbed tolite paper

Atlas and twp like this.
  11. twp

I'm watching our food prices here in Nevada. Meat prices have remained about the same (two week comparison) and flour (wheat) was actually slightly lower. This is counter intuitive. I'll speculate (guess) that food warehouses are having their inventory reduced in expectation of next years crop. Either there is much more in stock, somewhere, or the warehouse managers are not acting like the midwest floods will cause a problem. I don't know...

Re bottled water; I posted another thread about several brands which test high for Arsenic. Caution is advised and check the brands of bottled water in your stores. A small amount may not be a problem (not medical advice), but if you have a huge supply, be aware and check the brands.

jimLE and Atlas like this.
  12. twp

Another analysis of the US Midwest flooding crisis:

Farmers wash up 'in a fragile place' after historic Midwest floods

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...ns-tns-bc-midwest-farmers-20190430-story.html

Part of the problem:
    This is just the physical part of the problem. The article also describes the mental toll taken on farmers. I found it scary that there is no insurance for stored grains.

Atlas likes this.
  13. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

That is really scary. This is shaping up to be a really big deal.

14. twp

Atlas likes this.