1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook or Twitter

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Does anyone here use either of these sites regularly? If so, how much? If not, why?

2. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Active Member

I don't use either. It's not that I'm anti social media, but I don't much like how it seems to manipulate the users and information. For that reason I have little to do with either. I don't have much family I keep in touch with and for those I do, we use other methods, email, text, whatsapp and........the phone!! friends much the same.

Atlas likes this.
  3. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

As we've discussed, I use neither.

Why?

[rant on]
    1) I read the reports of how the social media business managers and their minions apply their political bias to filter and ban users while obstructing posts which they deem to express views in conflict with that bias.
    A few examples:

Twitter CEO, other tech execs to address social-media 'bias' against conservatives at Capitol Hill hearing

Silicon Valley’s Media and Social Media Bias Can’t Simply Be Ignored

The Bias Problem Plaguing America's Social Media Platforms

Sessions throws DOJ's weight into social media bias complaints

Do you own research on this. It is your opinion which is at stake here. Don't let someone else (even me) dictate it to you.

2) I read second hand social media posts, on other websites and on news media, which purport to be facts but which cannot be verified, therefore they fall in the category of unsupported opinion by anonymous people. I can get that just from watching or reading from CNN, Fox, CBS, etc... :rolleyes:

3) I have a concern that people who use social media will fail to exercise and train their ability to evaluate what they are reading, that they will accept it as reality. If the majority of what they read contains a bias or slant in viewpoint, I fear that the readers will begin to believe it to be truth.

I direct your attention to the meme represented in the novel "1984" by George Orwell.
    The meme of "Sheeple" is also appropriate here.
    If you take either of these personally, you might already be a victim.;)

I could go on, but I think you get my point from the above statements.
    [rant off]

[edit] I see that Sally beat me to it. Thanks Sally! I agree.

4. Atlas

I agree with both of you.

Now the real question is, can a privacy based version of Facebook work? If a similar site were to be launched that promised security and privacy, would you change your mind?

5. twp

Note that my first response does not address either security or privacy with respect to Social Media.

The problems of political bias, "shadow banning" and outright expulsion based on post content will remain for the current set of Social Media businesses.

If a new "social media" website were to appear, it remains to be seen how that site would act towards its members. How will it handle disagreement between members? "I'm Right!. No, I'm Right. No, your Left!" If it is in context, I have no problem with threads which go that way. If I don't agree, I can simply not engage. If I disagree strongly, I can engage in the "discussion"...;):mad::confused::cool::p:D:rolleyes:o_O
    Overall, I don't think I would join something which presents itself as "social media", because of the bad public image created by the present set of social media businesses.

Personally, I prefer forums. Sure, some of them have overbearing and controlling moderators and owners (present company excluded, of course:p). They suffer from loss of membership and submerge in the Internet swimming pool.

Other forums make an attempt to keep some degree of order among their members, without excessive use of the "ban hammer". Some forums are also self policing as the members simply don't respond to trolls and other infectious maladies ("But", he said, "where's the fun in that?").

Atlas likes this.
  6. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Active Member

No. I neither have enough of a life or the need to share my life with other people the way many people do, nor do I want to try and fish out the real from the bias that as twp so eloquently put exists on these platforms.
    I enjoy the internet and I like to interact with people over the web but I like it to be on my terms and for that reason, like twp prefer forums..

Atlas likes this.
  7. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Active Member

Hmm seems I didn't address the security and privacy thing. I've always found discussing security and privacy in the same sentence as social media odd, but at the end of the day all of the protocols is made a nonsense by members putting up photos of their house/car/spouse/child you name it, they're pretty much putting their lives online for anyone to see and abuse. So it doesn't really matter that the host is selling folks details, because it's easy enough to get information.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    jimLE and Atlas like this.
  8. twp

What? You mean posting he name and picture of my cat, which is also my security passphrase, isn't safe? Who knew? :D

Seriously, I'm still unclear on what the attraction is in "social media". I have email for people that I want to talk with (no, it's not really private). I have forums where I can discuss with a wider range of people, again, not private. The attraction factor is NOT security or privacy...

NSOTNIP - Nothing Said On The Net Is Private. Words to live by.
    NYDOTNIP - Nothing You Do On The Net Is Private.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  9. Atlas

This is really the heart of the issue right there. It isn't that the network itself isn't secure, it's the way people post things.

My issue really is, I had people posting pictures of me, pictures of my car and my house on their stuff and naming me. I had no say in it.

10. twp

Ouch! Not much you can do about it at this point... Move? Change cars? Use another name?
    I try very hard to remain anonymous while online, but if someone felt the need (and had way too much free time), they could find me.

I don't see an easy solution either... The hard way is to stop using the 'net, totally, but... I'm having too much fun right now. If it every wears thin, I could go cold turkey and drop the 'net but I'm not there yet.;)

11. Atlas

I don't try too hard, obviously, but I still think its messed up when someone else does it for you.

One of the guys I work with is in marriage counseling right now. His wife saw a couple of posts made by a woman on his page and freaked out. He had no say in what this woman said, she just implied that she would like to hook up and he had no luck convincing his wife that he had no intentions of doing anything with her. I've heard this same story , from both men and women, many times before.

I call Facebook the marriage wrecker.

jimLE likes this.
  12. jdp

jdp New Member

Facebook yes, Twitter no.

I'm not concerned about privacy, that's the whole point of it. So my friends and family will see what I am doing.

I use Instagram a lot too.

Atlas likes this.
  13. twp

jdp;
    It is a choice only you can make. I hope it works for you.

Atlas and jdp like this.
  14. lonewolf

lonewolf Well-Known Member

I have never used Twitter, I was on Facebook when I started on the internet but it was so boring, people saying where they went and with who and what they had for lunch and where, so I deleted my account, that must have been about 6 years ago.

Atlas likes this.
  15. jimLE

jimLE Active Member

I use Facebook and Twitter. But yet.i never post anything on/in them that i don't want known.and that includes.no pictures of me.my vehicle.or anything else that i don't want known. Much less ALL OVER the internet.

Atlas likes this.
  16. Atlas

I think this is what MOST of the users do.

jimLE likes this.
  17. twp

This is Daisy Luther's take on the social media situation:

The Social Media Purge - The Organic Prepper

I have noted the various reports about purging/shadow banning etc.

According to Luther, this is having a negative impact on many websites, in particular those which rely on social media to draw membership and viewers (not necessarily the same thing).

My recommendation is to adjust the way a website is presented to the world. If the search engines and social media are filtering based on website content, then look for reciprocal agreements with other websites. These agreements might present links between sites, without needing to go through either the search engines or the major social media.

Atlas likes this.
  18. Atlas

That is certainly one way to handle it. A network of sites is definitely a good idea.

The problem is, any site that gets big enough is going to have moderation based on the values of the owner of the site. Both liberal and conservative sites are equally guilty about suppressing views. What amazes me is that alternatives to Facebook, twitter, etc haven't popped up.

19. twp

As you point point out, there is not a reliable way to avoid the application of bias. Truthfully, In My Opinion, it falls back on the users of a given website as to whether posts or posters are given credence. I think that not enough people are taking the time to evaluate the information they read. By the same token, they are being swayed by what they do read ("It's on the Internet, it must be true"). That means that the bias of the mods and owners is influencing perceived opinion. There is a reason that the term "minion" can be used to describe social media users.

Please note my disclaimer that this is My Opinion. Each of you can agree or disagree. The important point is; which opinion do You hold? Yes, it does matter.

Atlas likes this.
  20. twp

This is a Pew Research Center analysis of Facebook(r) usage:

Americans are changing their relationship with Facebook

quote:
    "Just over half of Facebook users ages 18 and older (54%) say they have adjusted their privacy settings in the past 12 months, according to a new Pew Research Center survey. Around four-in-ten (42%) say they have taken a break from checking the platform for a period of several weeks or more, while around a quarter (26%) say they have deleted the Facebook app from their cellphone. All told, some 74% of Facebook users say they have taken at least one of these three actions in the past year."

There are additional statistics relating to the age of Facebook(r) users, in the article.