1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extar 9mm Pistol caliber "carbine".

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by hypnos, Oct 6, 2018.

1. hypnos

hypnos Active Member Survival Class Instructor

They can go by many names and for different purposes. SHTF gun, truck gun, get home bag gun, survival gun, and the list goes on. At any rate, pistol caliber carbines are becoming increasingly popular, and the offerings for these weapons is seeing an increase. What ever you happen to call it, a 9mm "PDW" is an intriguing option. The new ruger PCC looked amazing at first, and while I'd like to own one, its heavy, and fairly large especially considering its caliber. I have been considering building a budget 9mm AR pistol to scratch that particular itch, but of course it isn't the cheapest option.

The extar 9mm is coming is sub $500, it has a weight of 4.3 pounds. And from the reviews it appears to be not only very well made, but very reliable. It ships with a SB brace, and a B5 systems grip installed and with one glock magazine. That's tough to beat, cheap ammo, widely available magazines, and under $500. As a bonus, it has parts commonality with the AR-15.

I've been struggling with PCC's. (although i want one) I am not lost on the benefits of having one, but, I don't see how one could be that much more practical than a handgun alone, except for very niche purposes. if i was in my home state, I'd order one just to shoot racoon, my .22 conversion in my 5.56 pistol does the job, but not as well as I would like...

Do you have a PCC? what does it do better for you that no other firearms in your collection do?

Atlas likes this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I do not have a pistol caliber carbine, though I have thought about building one as well. The ability to use glock mags in an AR is a big benefit in my mind.

Why I never did it? Because I have other guns that do the same thing already. I just couldn't justify the cost.

One thing I do use, I have a chamber adapter for my Savage model 24 that let's me shoot 9mm. If I run out of game ammo I could use the adapter and my protection ammo for hunting. It's not ideal, but it would work. I can say, using the 9mm in a rifle it is so much easier to hit a target. Squirrels with the rifle is easy money, with the concealed carry 9mm not so much.

hypnos likes this.
  3. hypnos

EP armory (makers of 80% firearms components) makes a 80% kevlar reinforced polymer lower for the AR9 ...takes glock mags! And as a serious bonus, costs about $25 if I'm not mistaken.

Atlas likes this.
  4. hypnos

I personally think for polymer 80% lowers the EP is not only the cheapest, but the most robust of the others I have tried.

Atlas likes this.
  5. Atlas

I have not tried the polymer AR lowers. I've heard mixed reviews, but this does sound interesting.

hypnos likes this.
  6. hypnos

Some aren't great. The tenessy arms was a brittle as a stale saltine. I thought it would be good, it has brass inserts for threading the buffer tube and pistol grip, but unfortunately it was rough out of the box. For a dedicated .22LR ar it would be ok...maybe. mine broke while fitting it to an upper. It was stuck, and when i gave it a whack to seperate the halves, it snapped right at the buffer tube assembly. The EP version is VERY strong, and more forgiving if you get a little over zealous cutting in your fire controls. The JMT is on my list to try, but for a lightweight ar-10 chambered in 6.5 creedmor, not ar15.

Atlas likes this.
  7. hypnos

One thing to note on EP lowers is they may not feed well from magpul mags. Mine hade FTFs until i switched to troy battlemags, fortunately the troy mags are even cheaper, and worked great for me...also you can get them in OD.

Atlas likes this.
  8. Atlas

If you had a mill would you still use the plastic?

I haven't tried the troy mags, I'll have to check them out.

hypnos likes this.
  9. hypnos

I don't care either way. The main thing I'm interested in is having balanced, lightweight rifle, that is very inexpensive.

I don't like weak, i just need it to work, and generally fiber reinforced polymers do.

Atlas likes this.
  10. hypnos

Clever response mentioning the mill.

Atlas likes this.
  11. Atlas

hypnos likes this.
  12. hypnos

Oh cool! Some people use a harbor freight router with endmill bits for aluminum, as noisy of an operation as you can probably imagine, but the results are precise and look great. I have done a aluminum reciever on a Bridgeport i had the benefit of using. A good reciever jig is a must.

Atlas likes this.
  13. Atlas

Yeah, I could see the router being hard to handle, but people use it successfully so that's all that counts.

I bought one of these a few years back with a 20% off coupon and free shipping to the local store it was a very good deal.

2 Speed Benchtop Mill/Drill Machine

hypnos likes this.
  14. hypnos

I have been wanting one. I saw a mod for adding digital read out...that would be awesome.

Atlas likes this.
  15. Atlas

hypnos likes this.
  16. Atlas

Yes it would, but for banging out 80%'s it's not necessary at all.

Most of the chores I use mine for is simple stuff, just mostly modifying stuff.

hypnos likes this.
  17. hypnos

I think a a little resistance is good, but i also remember when allot of people said polymer handguns would never last, couldn't be durable etc. I look at the ar polymer lowers the same way. one thing about a composite lower for a beginner with no advanced machine tools is if you save the pastic cuttings you can melt them down and fill areas you effed up. I did that with a soldering iron once on my first 80% lower, my safety holes were not centered, i used a piece of card stock on the inside of the hole and patched the whole area up, after stipling you couldn't tell anything happened.

Atlas likes this.
  18. Atlas

Good point. I screwed up a couple at first too.

I think that if a company spend the money to bring a product to market they have to spend the money to make it better and fix the issues. This is not only good for them, but good for the consumer. Look at the polymer80 glock frames. The first ones had issues, the company fixed them and now they are a solid product.

hypnos likes this.
  19. hypnos

Yes, by all accounts they are very good. I like the new v2 frames better than the OEM version from a visual standpoint. Best deal on those is deltateamtactical.com
    Very low price, lowest ive seen so far. I think that will be my next build actually. As far as price vs. Performance goes, the SUAREZ international supermatch look very impressive. And they are cheaper than sending your own slide to ZEV or others. To have a match slide custumized to your need cheaper than sending a new OEM slide for mill work is awesome.

Atlas likes this.
  20. Atlas

I haven't built a full on custom glock, but I might some day. I wouldn't mind having a red dot on my 17, so if I'm getting it machined I might as well go all the way.

I actually like my first gen frame. It isn't really pretty, but it it is very comfortable to shoot. I built that one into a 22 frame. The second gen frame I have is a 19, and it is very nice too.

hypnos likes this.