1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Every Day Carry -EDC- kit challenge

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I would like to kick off this section with a fairly easy challenge. Show us your Every Day Carry EDC kit with a couple of pictures and a brief description of what you have and why.

Edited to set a date! On August first I will pick a winner with a random number generator, and they will receive a brand new SAK Farmer pocket knife!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    hypnos likes this.
  2. jimLE

jimLE Active Member

I have 2 knives in i carry.the bladed knife.i found on the shoulder of a bridge quite a fews ago.it renained put away untill,at least 4 or 5 years ago.then got it out and sharped it up.for 2 reasons.1st for small jobs that i know it can handle.other reason.i fugured a lil bit of extra protection might help,with the way this world. is going.the other knife for the same reasons.the 2 bladed knife remains in my pocket. And the clip on knife remains cliped to my pocket

0514181740.jpg 0514181739.jpg 0514181740a.jpg 0514181740b.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Atlas likes this.
  3. Atlas

Those are both great blades! Sometimes the knife that you would use for protection is not the knife that you want to use for every day chores and vice versa. My father had carried a two bladed case knife like that my whole life. I never understood why until I recently saw how nice it is for everyday tasks.

Thanks for entering the challenge @jimLE!

jimLE likes this.
  4. Quietsurvivalist

Quietsurvivalist Moderator Staff Member

I dont know if this is still going, but I dont want to win. I will however put a pic up tomorrow If we are still doing edc

Atlas likes this.
  5. Atlas

Yes, it is definitely still going.

6. jimLE

jimLE Active Member

My 2 carry knifes do get used for everyday task.but yet,i do limit their useage.take the one with the clip for example. It's a idea knife for trimming shingles at the edge of a roof.so corrugated roofing can be installed properly. Yes it's been done.and it's still sharp

Atlas likes this.
  7. Atlas

2018-06-05 11.15.45.jpg
    This is just an example of one of the EDC's I use. Due to my work, or play, I have a couple different that I carry regularly. This is mostly just when I am home and working around the properties.

hypnos likes this.
  8. Atlas

Anyone else care to get in on this?! I am not looking for anything crazy or special, just tell me what is in your pockets every day and a little but about why. The SAK Farmer is an awesome pocket knife, so it will be worth it if you win!

9. Atlas

Looks like @jimLE is going to walk away with the prize. Any last minute entries out there?

10. tulpa23

tulpa23 Active Member

What is EDC?

Atlas likes this.
  11. jimLE

jimLE Active Member

A edc is what you have on your person, from the time you leave home till you get home. Be it a pocket knife. To what ever

12. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

It's also a prepper acronym: Every Day Carry

13. Atlas

I guess that I shouldn't assume in the future that everyone knows these things. I'll keep that in mind in the future. Edited to add....I hope that clears it up!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    jimLE likes this.
  14. Atlas

S
    @jimLE is the winner! Congratulations! PM inbound.

15. Atlas

The knife is on it's way to @jimLE, I hope that he likes it.

I'm working on the next prepper challenge now, they should get better as we go along, I'll try a couple different things and see what works as we go.

16. jimLE

jimLE Active Member

Im sure i'll like it..
    That sounds great on the next one..
    Here's a couple of ideas.
    How prepared is your vehicle. Just in case you have to go it afoot. Or how prepared are you for everyday life.like,having a flat tire.and how quickly can you get it change?..

Atlas likes this.
  17. Atlas

Great ideas Jim. The point of this is to get people thinking about things that may not be thought of every day. It's not enough to simply buy a kit and forget about it. Training, rotation and practices are all important parts of prepping.

jimLE likes this.
  18. hypnos

hypnos Active Member Survival Class Instructor

I was considering not weighing in on the challenge, mainly because I'm not certain how well my EDC "man purse" will be recieved. Some may glean some insight, most probably will not, but I will go for it anyway.

First off, what I do.
    I am a construction tradesman primarily for income. But also, I have spent a fair amount of time in some very unforgiving places and often, encountering very dangerous people.
    Suffice it to say, i am not james bond, a navy seal, expert black hat hacker or Macgyver. I am a martial artist, aspiring world traveler, missionary, and back packer who has an interest in the criminal psyche, and has spent ALLOT of time on the street. So bear that in mind.

My EDC is referred to as my "panic" bag (please spare me the "that is the wrong thing to call it, never panic" type quip, its what I call it, because of pucker factor reasons.)

It is a skill, and information based system of aquiring the things I need, when I need them *IF I AM FORCED TO USE THEM* and only then.

So, on to the goodies...(I appreciate all of your patience thru the drawn out intro) 20180505_095338.jpg

So as you may have guessed all the basic food groups of a edc pack are covered with a few things needing some explanation.

The white security envelope: excellent for legal documents and other items you may want kept from prying eyes. Even police, who cannot open your mail without a warrant. If i decide to fly some place, i can remove the items I would normally carry and mail them to my destination, or back to my address. Also good security for nosy hotel housekeepers.

The money clip: that is actually also a folding knife, it is flat inside my pocket and holds all i need for daily use, ID, credit card, and cash. I have been a target before for having "a fat pocket" a big wallet screams "rob me", so I don't carry one in a city environment, say what you will of what you would or would not do in that situation, it's better to not even have a confrontation.
    Single board computer: it is a fully functional linux computer that can fit in a altoids tin. You can add Kali linux and hack with it, watch a YouTube video, and do general office type tasks as well, if you aren't familiar with qhat they are and what they can do i recommend you learn about them. 35$ for a device you can modify on the fly to read and write RFID chips for example is just a neat thing to have....
    Rare coins: if you encounter customs during an international flight, trying to bring too much cash you will get it confiscated. Rare and collectible currency is worth more than face value , but the person searching you is not likely to know that. To be continued....

jimLE and Atlas like this.
  19. Atlas

Please do a write up on that pocket computer! That is very cool.

Looking forward to part 2!

hypnos likes this.
  20. hypnos

hypnos Active Member Survival Class Instructor

The rest you can probably figure out, i also carry a jacknife styled set of lockpicks. (Legal for EMTs in the state of Minnesota)
    I had a glock 43, an excellent pistol i unfortunately sold. I like a small durable, handgun you can pocket carry if need be. Another good reason to have that envelope when travelling thru some commie city like chicago...

jimLE and Atlas like this.