1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU law will impact the Internet

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Sep 13, 2018.

1. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Be aware of what is happening in the EU countries:

‘Catastrophic’: EU Passes Copyright Directive Including Internet ‘Link Tax’ and ‘Upload Filter’

Read this carefully, particularly if you post links to news stories. I do this frequently, myself.

I see some part of this as an effort to extract income from websites which allow cross posting of links.

This possibility is seen, by some, as a "game stopper" move because smaller websites which host either forums or user comment sections may be unable to afford the cost.

The linked article is an example-in-case. The source document is:

'Catastrophic': EU Passes Copyright Directive Including Internet ‘Link Tax’ and ‘Upload Filter’ - Planet Free Will

I do expect pushback from the Internet community, but whether it will be successful remains unknown.

Another article which discusses this legislation:

EU approves controversial Copyright Directive, including internet ‘link tax’ and ‘upload filter’

Watch this...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Atlas likes this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Isn't the internet based pretty much on the fact that sharing links spreads the word? What would it be like if there was a tax or ban on the hyperlink?

3. twp

Considering that the agenda is power and control....?
    Of course it also shoots them in their own feet when the pushback comes round.

Lawyers are dancing in the streets of Europe right now because they see the court cases to be filed by huge numbers of ISPs and website owners. The big websites might think they can simply agree to pay (and charge it to their members), but I think they'll discover that they get too much bad public relations (think Nike shoes right now).

Atlas likes this.
  4. Atlas

I just really can't imagine how this is going to play put.

What if it killed the internet?

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Well-Known Member

new one on me, this has been kept quiet, that's if it isn't false news.

6. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Well-Known Member

It's all over the news here, just not the mainstream media. Article 13 as it's called already been voted on and passed. My son has been following it and apparently it's not good news.
    Count Dankula, a well known free speech vlogger over here went the European Parliament for the vote. There was a list of suggested ammendments to give a bit of balance and they were all rejected. Article 13 went through in it's raw state and apparently there will be a few add ons, so it could be even worse.
    If you want to read more simply google Article 13. Count Dankula is on youtube warning, his language is rather colourful.:D

And before you ask why I didn't add links, the above is the best we will be able to do without paying a fee once Article 13 becomes law, so get practising.:mad:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  7. lonewolf

surely it only applies to those countries that are in the EU? after next March we wont be.

8. Atlas

I'm not shy.

9. twp

"But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it..." Nancy Pelosi 2010
    This was said about the American "Affordable Healthcare Act" = Obamacare. Result? It is being phased out because it failed. But that is taking years to work its way through the system.

Let's hope that the EU Copyright Directive suffers the same fate. The problem remains that it may well take affect and we (the entire world) have to live with it for a while.

I note Sally's comment about not being able to post a link because of the potential tax fee attached...
    What will happen when the EU tries to impost a tax charge on a NON-EU business? I expect this to happen.
    Again, lawyers are dancing...

Atlas likes this.
  10. Atlas

Words to remember, as all politicians are the same, no matter what label they have.

11. twp

Another article which describes this legislation. It also expresses the very negative opinion held by some in the Internet community...

Today, Europe Lost The Internet. Now, We Fight Back.

Today, in a vote that split almost every major EU party, Members of the European Parliament adopted every terrible proposal in the new Copyright Directive and rejected every good one, setting the stage for mass, automated surveillance and arbitrary censorship of the internet: text messages like tweets and Facebook updates; photos; videos; audio; software code -- any and all media that can be copyrighted.

12. Atlas

What a good way to bring facism to the free market. So very European.

13. lonewolf

The EU don't own the internet.

14. Atlas

Problem is, these things spread like a political plague. You're pretty close, so it'll be there before you know it.