1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emergency am/fm/noaa radio's

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by jimLE, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Very nice. Is it the same brand on this one?

Punty and twp like this.
  2. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

yeah..same as first one.

Punty, twp and Atlas like this.
  3. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

4. Atlas

I am still looking for one of these as well. I'll be interested to hear how you like this one.

Punty, twp and jimLE like this.
  5. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

i had a email from ebay in my inbox when i 1st checked my emails this morning.
    i should have it Wednesday.

i read a lil bit about solar chargers for iphone's.tablets.etc.on a dif site.that got me to thinking.i believe it'd be a great idea for me to have one.on account i might not always have access to my car when needed and all.

Punty and Atlas like this.
  6. Atlas

The little battery back ups for cell phones are pretty cheap these days. I use mine alot more than I thought I would, they are very handy.

Punty and twp like this.
  7. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

ive had this for a few years now.in which it needs a usb port or electric outlet to be recharged.it'll last over 23 hours as long as leave the flashlight alone.and don't over use it to keep my phone charged.

for those that are wondering. i got it at walmart..and it costed between $20 and $25 with tax.if i remember right.

1026191255b.jpg 1026191255a.jpg

Punty, Atlas and twp like this.
  8. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

At these prices, buy several and keep them with the spare cell phones and computers in Faraday shielded containers.

Punty, jimLE and Atlas like this.
  9. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

it look's like i'll get both item's friday.

10. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

i just thought of something. their both coming from cali..so I'm wondering if they'll be delayed at any given time due to the fires..

11. Atlas

It seems like shipping is not being effected at this time. I hope there is no delay for you!

Punty, twp and jimLE like this.
  12. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

their coming from the MORENO VALLEY CA area..i did a lil search on the area.and it appears that your right.

Punty and twp like this.
  13. Atlas

Probably 75% of Chinese good are coming from that one port alone.

Punty and twp like this.
  14. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

that's all.lol :rolleyes:

15. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

it looks like ii'll get one or both item's. today.instead of tomorrow.

Punty, Atlas and twp like this.
  16. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

yes i got both today.
    1st the radio.it's mor compact then i figured.but yet that's good.
    it works.it picks up the primary FM station. and the NOAA station alike.i have it plugged into my new solar charger.it works at rechargeing.

2ndly.
    i want to see if both recharges at the same time.so i now have the charger pluged into outlet.and the radio is pluged into the charger.plus i now have this phone plugged into it as well..and it's charging.

3rd.I'm not sure if the charger is charging or not yet.

edit..i just learned that the radio don't work while it's pluged in to recharge. I'm sitting in same location as before.i'll try it again when it's done charging.

1031191054.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  17. Punty

Punty Active Member

I've had a version of that radio for several years now, and used it a bit from time to time, to listen to football games when I go camping mainly. I've been super happy with mine. I may get a new one soon, though...even the red is fading from sunlight exposure on mine..lol.

The one that I have doesn't charge terribly well from the solar panels....it'll get a very small charge, that's all. Other than that, no complaints...good reception for what it is, the crank charger works real well...about 1 minute of cranking gets me 10 minutes or so of radio.

I never did charge anything else with it, so I can't attest to that, but I would expect it to be fairly slow and inefficient. I'm OK with that...in an emergency, I just need enough juice to make a call.

I think it depends on what you're looking for. For me, the radio function is the most important..NOAA and news. Everything else is just a bonus, so I think that's the way to look at these pocket sized emergency radios...if it's the radio you want...it's good....if you're looking at it for any other primary reason, and the radio is secondary, you probably will be disappointed.

twp, Atlas and jimLE like this.
  18. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

thats why got the solar charger as well.i figure using the radio to recharge my phone would be to slow.but yet.i want to try it out just to see how it does. i also have the charger with a flashlight.it'll last over 23 hours on one charge.when i only use my phone with it.even then.only use it when needed.but yet.i do need to put both chargers and radio through the needed trail runs before their needed.like a power outage or what ever.

19. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

ok.it's verified. the solar charger does a good job of recharging smart phones like it's suppose to.next will be my new radio.

Punty and twp like this.
  20. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

i took someone to 2 diff stores.so i took the radio with me.it workd fine in front of the 1st one we stopped at. .but not the 2nd store.im thinking it's got to do with the store.on account i have the same issue with the car radio while in front of the same store.

Punty and twp like this.