1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you keep all of your preps in one place?

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

I've been seeing a common theme lately, a room, bunker, shelter, or retreat, where ALL of the persons preps are kept in one spot. This seems like some kind of serious foolishness to me. Please don't do this! Having all of your preps in one place that could burn to the ground or get robbed in the night is not a good plan.

My preps are spread out. Not only in my house, but also across my property and in several locations. So much so, that even a trained eye might not even notice at first.

Having all your preps in one spot is for show and only for youtube/TV/keyboard commando types!

2. jimLE

jimLE Member

The thing of it.is that some folks don't have a choice,to where they keep all of their preps..take me for example. There's way to many ppl around me.that means no burying any catches. Plus i cant afford a storage unit.so thats out.so I'm slowly putting a idea/plan together, where i can and will load up,what i need into my vehicle n get out.but that is if it's a wildfire or what ever.

3. Atlas

Now that is a side of things I hadn't thought of. If you don't have a place nearby or any other options, what about friends or family who could keep a kit for you?

4. jimLE

jimLE Member

2 family members close enough.but yet.to me,their not trustable enough.as for friends go.there might be a hand full i can trust enough to keep what ever.and keep their mouths shut at the same time.

Atlas likes this.
  5. Atlas

It might not be a bad idea to make a small kit with some key things, nothing that you would lose sleep over losing, and start out with that. If you asked a friend to keep a small tote with some food and a few supplies in it for you, it might be a start or at least a way to have something if everything else goes up in flames.

Having a kit for the car is a great idea too. I would definitely keep that as a part of my plan if I were in your shoes.

6. jimLE

jimLE Member

Only issue i have when it comes to the car.is coming up with a bag or what ever.so it don't look obvious to what it is.on account,i don't want to stand there and tell someone what it is,or something different.and as for keeping tote(s) of food to what ever with friends goes.i need to choose someone first.then decide what to leave with them.on account id be ok/happy leaving certain items with certain person. But not with someone else.

Atlas likes this.
  7. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member

It does come down to the trust factor and how well you know someone else. I have known people that I once thought were trustworthy... and they were not. Now, I count that number on the fingers of one hand and have fingers left over.

Also, a reciprocal storage makes sense. You have something from them and they have something from you. Agree that if one person abrogates their side of the bargain, the other person can use their cache.

Atlas and jimLE like this.
  8. Atlas

That is a great suggestion.

I don't know what kind of care you have @jimLE, but if the kit being visible is an issue maybe storing it inside of a tote or box makes sense?

9. jimLE

jimLE Member

Exactly.it comes down to trust and respect.and just like you.i can count the ones i trust enough on one hand.but yet.they live to far away.as far as a kit for the car goes.I'm thinking along the line of maybe a tool bag.if not along them lines.that way it'll look like it's tools or something else.but it'll be my get home kit.instead.

Atlas likes this.
  10. Atlas

11. jimLE

jimLE Member

12. Atlas

There you go. One of those would be low key. The only issue I could see, if a person looking to break into a car for guaranteed dope money saw a bag of tools in the open, it could be an easy ticket to cash. You would still have to hide it from plain site while you are not in the car.

hypnos and jimLE like this.
  13. jimLE

jimLE Member

Yea i would.but yet.that stands true for any type of bag or box inside of a car.

Atlas likes this.