1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you have a dedicated "go to" bug out firearm?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by hypnos, Oct 27, 2018.

1. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member Survival Class Instructor

@Atlas I'd be willing to wager that if you try the den trap method you'll make it part of the prepper site curriculum. Give it 72 hours in a good spot, check it every morning. If you don't catch anything,I'll concede i don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

Atlas and jimLE like this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

hypnos likes this.
  3. hypnos

That is where i found the information originally. i couldn't remember where i read it. It was several years ago or i would have credited the original poster. It really does work well.

Atlas likes this.
  4. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  5. Atlas

I use those as well. Or wire snares.

hypnos likes this.
  6. hypnos

Live traps and den traps aren't exactly the same. You are trying to reproduce, artificially a place an animal would want to use as a den and put a trap in it. In that situation you can use whatever trap you wish. Live food never spoils so good on you for the live traps!

jimLE and Atlas like this.
  7. hypnos

One animal I hear that is quite easy to catch via snare is deer actually. It is illegal to do it, but it can be effective from what I hear.
    In my 72 hour bag i used to carry alkaseltzer for indigestion, but also to use as poison for birds if i needed to eat bad enough.

Atlas likes this.
  8. Atlas

Trapping deer if things get really bad is actually a really good idea. *Theoretically* what is the best way to do it?

What does the alkaseltzer do?

hypnos likes this.
  9. hypnos

I have heard, (but not tried) that heavy cable used for clothes line can be used in a large loop over a game trail that deer frequent.
    As for the alkaseltzer, it expands rapidly in the poor birds stomach, causing it to rupture and kill the bird.
    I met a guy in North Dakota who told me he would ferment grain and spread it in a field for geese to get them drunk and prevent them from flying away, although we were both also drunk when he told me and it could have been complete bullsh*. A interesting idea if nothing else.

Atlas likes this.
  10. Atlas

A good thing to keep in mind, none the less.

hypnos likes this.
  11. hypnos

A trap of northern Minnesota folklore is the use of a sickle over tree trunks deer would jump over on a game trail. Part of me doubts it would work, but apparently because the deer cannot see well directly in front it will leap over the log, disemboweling itself. I think the snare is probably the better way to go. Tracking a deer who has been dragging its own guts around for god knows how long doesn't sound like much fun to me.
    One live trap that is actually ingenious for birds is the use of small cone shaped pieces of material the size of the little cone cups in allot of water coolers in offices. You place bait in the bottom of the cup, and a sticky substance around the rim. Dig a small hole and place the cup in it. It will get stuck on the birds head preventing flight and also keep the bird alive, unharmed.

Atlas likes this.
  12. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

I've heard the same about deer and snares.but had forgotten about it.
    Ever hear about seagulls and alka shelter? I hear that aint a pretty shight.

Atlas and hypnos like this.
  13. hypnos

For turkey, i have heard a rotten box spring with its mess of wires and coils can trap them if placed over bait. But i have my doubts.

Atlas likes this.
  14. hypnos

It works on lots of birds and i used to carry tge seltzer tabs for that and mild indegestion as well....i need to buy some more of it for the medical kit.

Atlas and jimLE like this.