1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I still need a bug out bag if I am bugging in?

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

This is an excellent article by survival sullivan.

Do I Still Need a Bug Out Bag if I am Bugging In? - Survival Sullivan

In the article he makes a very valid point. Yes, you do still need a BOB even if you are planning to bug in. The reality is no plan is perfect, no place is 100% safe, and you aren't really prepping if you think that there is only one scenario that might play out.

2 is 1, 1 is none. Always have a back up.

2. jimLE

jimLE New Member

I didn't read all of it.but yet.yes i agree.everyone needs a b.o.b. no matter what.

Atlas likes this.
  3. Quietsurvivalist

Quietsurvivalist Moderator Staff Member

I think it is very much subjective

I am rarely, as far as travel miles more than 10 miles from my house. I can run that in an hour, I don't want any weight other than water

Now saying that, If I am farther than 20 miles away yes, a light bag is a good idea. The longer the distance defines what bag I grab

Atlas likes this.
  4. Atlas

See, to me that would be a get home bag, which is very different. Small and light works for the GHB, as you stated there isn't a whole lot that you would need for a 10 mile walk back home.

The bug out bag needs to be different. Let me give a scenario.

Let's say that you had just fallen asleep after a long hard days work. You are pretty tired, so you fell asleep quickly and the couple drinks that you had might have helped with that.

An hour later there is a banging at your door. You wake with a start, grab your pistol of course and head to the front door. Just as you are about to see who is at the door you hear more banging and someone yelling "FIRE! GET OUT!" You open your curtain to look outside and all that you see is flames, everywhere. It's not on your house, yet, but it is obvious that it won't be long.

You have 3 minutes to get whatever you can and get out.

This is what happened to many people last summer in Napa County. They don't live in the woods, but the forest fires came to them so quickly that they had no chance to prepare. Luckily most got their family and a couple valuables out, but other than that they lost everything. There were even cases of people who were found dead in their backyard pool, the fire hit so fast that they had no place to run.

Having a bug out bag next to the door and a higher level of preparedness would have been a huge asset for many of them. In fact many of those people have become preppers from what I can see.

There are other scenarios that play out similarly, but this one is closest to home for me.

jimLE likes this.
  5. jimLE

jimLE New Member

Here's another scenario.we had a tornado touch down not to far from us in 2016.no damage to our home.but yet.no power for 3 days.that hit home with me.so i converted the floor of the hall closet into a tornado safe room.then i started stocking it with whats needed.like tools to get me out.if i got trapped in there.. tent.emergency foods.a tent .among other items.a b.o.b..would of been a good idea.but i moved.

Atlas likes this.
  6. Atlas

Tornadoes, earthquakes, roving bands of marauders and probably a few more are all good reasons to have a BOB ready to go.

I am glad to hear that you were able to move to a safer place!