1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY R.A.C.U. ? (rifle accessory control unit)

Discussion in 'STEM-Science Technology Engineering Mathematics' started by hypnos, Sep 12, 2019.

1. hypnos

hypnos Moderator Staff Member

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/b...ines-rifles-will-soon-pack-bigger-punch-79926

The Marines are turning their interest to a means of controlling all of the features and electronic accessories of their weapons and equipment to a centralized controller to maintain more situational awareness, and reduce the amount a soldier is currently required to do to adhust or turn on or off all the systems currently carried by soldiers.

These systems include but aren't limited to range finders, red dots, lights and lasers, night vision, GPS devices and communications equipment.

A tricky task!

It seems they are trying to move away from pressure switches and buttons located all over the individual soldiers equipment into one unit.

How this will be accomplished without increasing dependence on computers is probably off the table. They will most likely need a central computerized something to make such a system work, and open up new vulnerabilities with wireless connections to equipment that hackers can potentially exploit, such as Bluetooth.

Not to mention an ever increasing demand for electrical power.

Ares armor had a bluetooth connected light, and other companies have made bluetooth connected lasers to be remotely controlled. Not sure how I feel about that.

But, to control the fire rate of a select fire weapon, lights, lasers, range finders, and night vision is a seemingly impossible task in my mind.

Could a prototype of off the shelf components come close???

Atlas likes this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

I'm sure that it could, but the price is going to be pretty far up there. Other than NVG's all my stuff is dumb on purpose. Less to break is still the best option when there is no supply chain following behind you.

hypnos likes this.
  3. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Active Member

I am not so sure. Several outfits are all ready pretty close, and they are private outfits. The Barrett BORS has been around long enough to have a version 2. ATN has made some great advancements to include some environmental sensors built into the scopes. Others have some variations.

I have not found the app again this evening, but I ran across one some time ago that was an Android app that coupled to a camera on the rear of a duplex day/night/thermal scope assembly. The phone did almost all of the sensing and calculation, and displayed the adjusted POA (point of aim) taking into account temperature, humidity, slope, specific round, gravity, and way too many more for me to remember. It did not pull the trigger, but they did say that as soon as they could come up with an appropriate interlock they would add that feature.

Even now, just the BORS or one of the ATNs on a Leupold scope would make me happy mounted on a Vigilance VR-1 .408 Cheytac.

Just my opinion.

hypnos likes this.