1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dehydrating Hash browns.

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by Sally Rudd, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Well-Known Member

I love hash browns, home made hash browns that is.
    I have wanted to prepare some to take camping so I had a go at dehydrating from my usual recipe here

How to Make Hash Browns the RIGHT Way

I followed the recipe to the shred stage and then dehydrated the shredded potatoes.
    It worked well and took 6 hrs or so @125F

I have just rehydrated and cooked some for lunch with a fried egg, and I can honestly say I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between these and fresh.
    This is definitely a keeper and will be a welcome addition to not only the camping menu but the store cupboard too.

Atlas and jimLE like this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I can honestly say that I never thought to try this until recently. They really are easy to make and they hold up very well. I just ate some of my first batch on my camping trip yesterday and they are excellent!

What I haven't had a chance to see is how long the last on the shelf, but the experiment has begun.

3. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Well-Known Member

I was genuinely thrilled with the results(I'm easily pleased!) and will now get a few jars filled. I like to have plenty of the favourites as I tend to use them day to day. I find it really convenient to have jars of Peppers and Mushrooms in particular as I hardly ever use a whole pepper when I cook and then end throwing away the other half. Having the dehydrated version has stopped a lot of waste
    I find with an oxygen absorber in a jar that most veg lasts about 2 years. Now I've started using a Vac sealer on the jars instead I'm in new territory so will be monitoring everything closely to see how this method bears up to oxygen absorbers.

jimLE and Atlas like this.
  4. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

I had bought a dehydrator in a yard sale,over a year ago.never used.now I'm thinking of giving it a try

Atlas likes this.
  5. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

It's so easy even I can't screw it up. They turned out excellent.

jimLE likes this.