1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dehydrating frozen Vegetables.

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by Sally Rudd, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Member

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but for convenience and price I dehydrate a lot of store bought frozen veg.
    It can sometimes be hard to get a good crop of sweetcorn and home grown peas are just too good to dehydrate so I buy bags of frozen from the store. I also like the bags of mixed peas, beans, sweetcorn and chopped carrot.
    You simply spread them out on the drying trays, leave to defrost and then dehydrate according to your dehydrator instructions.
    The beauty with this is you can do it anytime, it's fairly cheap, everything is prepared and if you don't have enough of something else to fill your dehydrator you can always fill it with more than one thing.
    Finally for those who don't have a garden, it's a great way to build up stocks of food that don't rely on electricity, or for long term storage and you still have some control over quality.
    Youtube has plenty of how to videos for the unsure.:)

Atlas likes this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Why I never thought of this before, I have no idea. This is an excellent tip! What veggies have you had luck with besides corn and peas?

3. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Member

I've use peas, corn, mixed vegetables, sliced bell pepper, chopped green beans, chopped and sliced onion. You can also do cabbage, but it's not one I've tried.

Atlas likes this.
  4. Atlas

This lady has a ton of really good storage info on her channel as well as this video.

5. Atlas

My old Ronco food dehydrator is going to get a good workout this year. I keep saying that when it dies I will buy a fancy Excalibur or something but it just keeps on going.