Decent Blog about the Flu

WolfBrother

Based on my "Not a Doctor" knowledge, the article is a decent read and heed. The part about Elderberry's is spot on. In a proper double blind study, Elderberries were found to:
1. Decrease severity of symptoms
and
2. Decrease duration of symptoms.

The sooner you start them after you feel sick, the better.

https://www.theorganicprepper.com/flu-influenza/

Morgan

I tried elderberry tincture for the flu and to generally stay healthy and prevent overall cold and it did nothing for me. I hear it won't work on some people. Just my personal experience, though. :)

twp

Admin, DuckDuckGo No Longer Recommended
Staff member
I wonder if it (elderberry) takes a particular dosage and duration of intake?

WolfBrother

I wonder if it (elderberry) takes a particular dosage and duration of intake?
What the late and very knowledgeable herbalist GoatLady said (and what I've read since):
As soon as you start to feel sick - start taking it.
Take it for as long as a week after.

Dried (and maybe fresh ripe) Elderberries are put in an alcohol solution and whatever "magic" is alcohol soluble. GLady's instructions - https://www.prepperboards.com/threads/tincture-of-elderberry-and-elderberry-syrup.1694/ - said soak them for a week or so to get everything . The instructions also said how much to take.

twp

Staff member

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I tried elderberry tincture for the flu and to generally stay healthy and prevent overall cold and it did nothing for me. I hear it won't work on some people. Just my personal experience, though. :)
I have heard this before as well. I do it like @WolfBrother states. As soon as I feel it coming on I dose with it until a week after I am surely over it.

The hard part about the flu is that it can mutate and you could get it twice in a row as it works it's way around your circle of friends and family. Especially if you have kids.

twp

Staff member
You got that right @Atlas, we have a head cold here that is hanging on for seems like a month. <cough><snork><wheeze>

twp

Staff member
We'll survive it, just don't come visiting until this burns out :eek:

WolfBrother

Go to Amazon, search for Sambucol - you can buy pre-made liquid, lozenges, and gummies.