Corona Virus Thread. All posts go here!

twp

Admin, Make DuckDuckGo.com Your Search Engine.
Staff member
Coronavirus Concerns
https://heavenstretch.wordpress.com/2020/02/23/coronavirus-concerns/

But, the way it looks to me, COVID-19 is serious enough to warrant this post for you, my small circle of blog friends. If this virus is not yet on your radar screen, I’d like to provide the following 12 details for you to consider. These details are correct to the best of my knowledge at this time, based on the sources I provide below…

1. COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus. That means it is something totally new in the human ecosystem. No one in the world has natural antibody protection in their bodies to deal with this virus, as is the case with many other known viruses.
  2. COVID-19 is a Pandemic. It is currently spreading throughout the world.
  3. COVID-19 is extremely contagious. The virus is spread in aerosol form. That means that someone who is infected with the virus spreads it by simply breathing. The virus can spread from room to room in a building through natural air currents, or through ductwork.
  4. COVID-19 virus can survive on surfaces for a long time. At 68°F it can survive for 24 hours.
  5. COVID-19 virus can enter your body through your mouth, your nose, or your eyes.
  6. People who have COVID-19 and show no symptoms (asymptomatic) are contagious and spreaders of the virus. This is the most insidious aspect of this little beast.
  7. 80% of people who get COVID-19 will have only cold or flue symptoms. 15% will develop serious respiratory problems and require hospitalization (to get oxygen into their system). 5% will require lengthy intensive care in a hospital.
  8. Most people who die from COVID-19 die from pneumonia and the resulting hypoxia, which is a lack of oxygen to the cells of the body. There is some indication that those who survive serious cases of COVID-19 have permanent heart damage.
  9. A vaccine for COVID-19 is one year to 18 months away from being available. In the meantime, the virus is likely to mutate.
  10. Children under 12 are not as susceptible to the virus as adults, and if they get it, it is less severe than in adults (but they are still spreading the virus). Men are more susceptible than women. People over 70 are most at risk of dying (but people of all ages are dying from the virus).
  11. COVID-19 is not a virus that will “burn out” when the weather warms up in North America, as typically happens with yearly flue viruses.
  12. There is evidence to indicate that a person can be reinfected with COVID-19 after recovering, and it is worse the second time around.

twp

Staff member
I note that China isn't in the top ten...

WolfBrother

#2 above - pandemic. Not quite there yet.

It meets the definition for a large epidemic but not pandemic. I suspect it’ll make it there within a month.

My medic spidey sense is starting to tingle a bit. I’ve not yet started wearing a mask, gloves and such but ...

WolfBrother

California tells 7K people to stay home because of coronavirus
https://fox40.com/news/coronavirus/california-tells-7k-people-to-stay-home-because-of-coronavirus/

Quarantines begin in the US...
Sensationalized headline. The story clearly states in several places that California officials are asking people to stay home. Not telling them.

Trouble is the 7800 people, who are being asked to limit their interactions, have ALREADY been around a number of people. So it a game of catch up and the officials are clearly way behind the curve on this.

twp

Staff member
Yeah, it is sensationalized. And "health officials" are missing too many opportunities to address this outbreak.

twp

Staff member
It may come to this here in the US. Particularly in cities with a large asian population. There will be profiling based on appearance. It will not be popular, but may be necessary.

twp

Staff member
China Is Disintegrating: Steel Demand, Property Sales, Traffic All Approaching Zero
https://www.zerohedge.com/economics...d-property-sales-traffic-all-approaching-zero
In our ongoing attempts to glean some objective insight into what is actually happening "on the ground" in the notoriously opaque China, whose economy has been hammered by the Coronavirus epidemic, yesterday we showed several "alternative" economic indicators such as real-time measurements of air pollution (a proxy for industrial output), daily coal consumption (a proxy for electricity usage and manufacturing) and traffic congestion levels (a proxy for commerce and mobility), before concluding that China's economy appears to have ground to a halt.

That conclusion was cemented after looking at some other real-time charts which suggest that there is a very high probability that China's GDP in Q1 will not only flatline, but crater deep in the red for one simple reason: there is no economic activity taking place whatsoever.
This is an analysis of the effect, inside China, of the Corona Virus outbreak. This will effect the rest of the world due to the massive market changes.

It is also a strong indicator of what may (perhaps, maybe) happen in other countries if the virus cannot be controlled. Preppers take note here. The article lists things which we can include in our Prepper Plans.

What are your plans if your local/country economy does something similar to that in China?

twp

Staff member
I note that members of the "church" are under "voluntary" quarantine.... Yeah, right...

WolfBrother

6 confirmed Wuhan cases in San Antonio. All 6 were transported into SA quarantined and are still quarantined at Lackland AFB.

One was brought by State Dept. directly from Wuhan. The other 5 were on the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

San Antonio is, normal driving, a 70 to 90 minute drive away from me.

twp

Staff member
Top Investor Asks For Advice on “Stockpiling Food”
https://summit.news/2020/02/25/top-investor-asks-for-advice-on-stockpiling-food/

Investor and Bedrock founder Geoff Lewis is asking for advice on stockpiling food in another illustration of how the spread of coronavirus is driving fears of shortages.
Prepping is rising in its public profile. Hopefully this will move more people toward Prepping as a lifestyle and not just a one time effort in response to a crisis.

twp

Staff member
Advisory RE the CDC: they have a strong political bias, so I discount their statements because of that bias. They also adhere to the old saw: "Never let a good crisis go to waste"...
CDC says Coronavirus outbreak inevitable in U.S., markets plunge on warning

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/health/cdc-warns-prepare-coronavirus-outbreak

BREAKING -- The CDC said Tuesday to prepare for a coronavirus outbreak in the United States, which was followed by the Dow dropping 800 points.
CDC bias notwithstanding, Preppers should be watching the Corona Virus "outbreak" because it certainly could get out of control (look at China). That leaves a Prepper as the last line of defense for themselves and their family/group.

twp

Staff member
The article says the opposite:
Boise man found dead traveled to China; initial coronavirus test negative, coroner says

Although the initial samples for covid-19 and flu came back as negative, the CDC is doing additional testing out of “an abundance of caution.” Those tests will take up to 10 days, and updates will be released as they become available, according to the press release.

No cases of coronavirus have been reported in Idaho.
Still, the circumstances do look suspicious and the person was 71 years old.
So keep watch...

twp

Staff member
According to the article, it is not all of Italy, yet:
n an era of online ordering and borderless travel, Tino has had to revert to hand-delivering items across a checkpoint - within his own country.

He parks beside the police cars blocking a road to Codogno, the epicentre of Italy's coronavirus outbreak. And across the ad hoc barrier, fencing off an invisible threat, he passes a simple object to his sister stuck on the other side: a facemask.

Pharmacies in the town of 16,000 people are running low. Queues of anxious customers are forming, as Codogno hits headlines around the world.

The mayor, Francesco Passerini, tells me by phone that the situation is completely calm and supplies of food and medicine are stable. "Our town has overcome everything, including the Second World War," he says - an attempt at reassurance.

But in the 11 closed-off towns, in which more than 50,000 people are quarantined, fear is setting in.

twp

Staff member
An commentarhy analysis of world impact of the Corona Virus:
Pandemic approaching? Taking the world's pulse
https://thepriceofliberty.org/2020/02/25/pandemic-approaching-taking-the-worlds-pulse/

So far (and assuming that the Chinese are even partially telling the truth), this does not seem to be as lethal as previous pandemics, such as the “Spanish flu” of 1918 or the SARS outbreak in 2003. Or the Black Death in medieval times. Whether this is because of better supportive treatment, better health conditions (especially for the elderly and very young) or the virus itself, this is good news.
Again, it is no surprise that the pundits are badly worried. As are people all over the place. Oil prices (driven in part by the drop of demand by China, air travel, and other industrial slowdowns) are bouncing but seem to be dropping fairly rapidly. That, lack of raw materials, lack of imports, and other factors, do NOT look good for the economy of much of the Fifty States.
Preppers, act on this now, before the rush to "hoard" supplies really starts.