1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Close call from an Astroid yesterday-would you be prepared?

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by old guy, Nov 2, 2019.

1. old guy

old guy Member

Atlas and twp like this.
  2. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

Only to the extent that I Prep for other events. I can't dodge a meteor, but I can Prep for the aftermath if I survive.

Atlas likes this.
  3. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Active Member

WB edited to specific:
    If I'm far enough away to be able to say "WOW!!!!! Look at that Sxxt!" my normal preps will come into play.
    Otherwise, if I'm still functional, my normal preps that are functional will come into play.

Atlas and twp like this.
  4. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

How could you be prepped for this? Total TEOTWAWKI!

twp likes this.
  5. twp

@Atlas, I'll assume that is a rhetorical question and not a capitulation.

Underground bunker, 2-3 years food stock, expect a "nuclear winter" climate. Scavenging lifestyle using the remains of our current civilization and working to rebuild. These scenarios have been presented in both book and movie formats.

I think some would survive. It has happened before, but life survived. I really hope it is not a bunch of our politician in their air-conditioned bunkers, but that is why they were build...

Yes, there are some events which the planet might not survive (nova of the sun) but they are not as likely as a meteor strike. I'm trying to remain optimistic. Not that I look forward the that lifestyle, but the alternative is even less appealing. I don't want to be "Otzi", discovered under a glacier by the next civilization.

6. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

I was joking. If I remember correctly, where it lands makes a huge difference. If one were to hit the ocean....

twp likes this.
  7. twp

Ocean strike? Best surfing in a lifetime or more. Lots of rain, everywhere. Tidal wave on all shores which face the impact zone.

Land strike? Worse nuclear winter from particulate blown into the atmosphere.

Theses are the things for which we Prep.

Atlas likes this.