Censorship - Reason to Drop Social Media

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Good questions. Twitter is definitely sensored, I believe not as much as facebook, but...

Reactions: twp

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, so what's your thoughts on TikTok getting banned?

twp

Admin, DuckDuckGo No Longer Recommended
Staff member
Do you know the hand sign for "the worlds smallest violin"? I'm crying great big Crocodile tears...:rolleyes:

I think TikTok is/was just one more tool for invading our privacy. In this case, it was closely connected to China. I have never used it and never intend to do so.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
The guy on my right shoulder is whispering "good" but the guy on my left is whispering "bad". After thinking about it for a while, it's just more big brother closing that silly "freedom of speech loophole" which I really don't like to see happening. More laws do not make us safer. Censorship is still censorship even if it is the CCP. I think there are better ways to fix this problem.

twp

Staff member
There is censorship and then there is invasive software. I see TikTok as just a way to invade computer systems and collect data on the user. I have no problem with making them illegal/banned. Some will call it censorship but it boils down to users not being willing to chose (personal choice) not to use a tool and wanting their government to "protect" them...

Look at our own (USA) set of social media giants and the pressure that is (finally) being put on them to stop censorship. That pressure ought properly to have come from the end users, by refusing to use their invasive tools... Instead, we have government calling them out on the carpet. I see that as "virtue signaling" by governments: "Look at us, we're protecting you. Vote for us!" Bull Feathers.

Just Say NO to Social Media.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
But, doesn't this set a precedent? What happens when the next demoncratic president comes along and wants to ban all prepping site because he doesn't like them?

twp

Staff member
[Rant On]

That certainly is a possible scenario. There are alternatives to the communications channel which is our present Social Media zoo.

My Point: Due to the blatant censorship being applied by the owners/manager/operators of those Social Media sites, the information they offer is biased and not trustworthy.

The people who are using Social Media (perhaps some of you?) are agreeing, by using them, with the biased views they present. Sure, you can call out when you see such censorship, but guess what?, you may get censored for pointing to the problem... Catch 22?

I see this as a no-win situation. Yes, you might continue to use Social Media, in hopes that your opinions and comments will sway the other users. I do this, on fora such as this one, but I have NO HOPE that anything I might post on Social Media will change the minds of those who use those channels. So I don't bother using those biased tools and I advise others to reject them too. I vote with my keyboard and my responce to advertising.

I'm suggesting that our opinions are better expressed on fora which don't have such blatant censorship and are not engaged in rejecting the views with which the owners/managers/operators disagree (ie. Censorship).

There is a term, Samizdat, which describes the use of communications which are outside of the "approved" channels (read "Social Media" here). It has, in the past, represented outright illegal information streams (by the laws of the time). We are not quite to that point, here in the USA, but I see it as a very probably track which this train might choose. To extend the train analogy, we are not the only car in the train, but we are all going toward the same destination. We have other fora on the 'net which have similar points of view, which is why they are part of the train.

Look at our set of browser bookmarks, each of us as individuals. Do you see a common set of values represented by the sites on your bookmark list? I look at mine and I certainly see that the majority have a common value set.

To be fair, I do certainly have sites bookmarked which are on the "other side" of my points of view. They are "on a different set of rails", to continue the train analogy. Some are even traveling in the opposite direction from where I want to go. But I read them, even link to them on this forum, in order to better understand the "opposition"/"problem".

I see that this reply is taking on the aspects of a "screed" and I could be offending some readers.:eek: Oh My!... Perhaps they need to be offended? We are adults (most of us) and sometimes even adults need a 2x4 smacked upside the head to get their attention. SMACK!

If you are offended, then ask yourself why you find these ideas unacceptable... Social Media indoctrination perhaps? Public school indoctrination still rearing it's ugly head maybe? Heaven forbid that you, like I, attended a college and were exposed to higher levels of that indoctrination...

Let's hear your points of view, particularly if you are in disagreement with mine. You may be able to change my mind, unlikely as that seems to me. o_O

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I both agree and disagree. Haha.

You are correct in saying that social media is censoring posts and keeping them from trending. They also shadow ban users they don't agree with and do other funky stuff, BUT that is where the majority of people hang out. If you want to get a feel for what a pretty big slice of America or even the world is doing this is a pretty good way to do it.

I'm not saying the Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, etc are GOOD. What I am saying is that government regulations are BAD. Like so many things before, something bad happens and minutes later a politician comes along screaming about how we need a new law or prohibition on it, which then later down the line turns into a prohibition of all things even remotely similar. Example, guns. Who really needs a Tommy Gun? Only mafia I say! No self respecting citizen would need one.

Same goes for websites. If we set the precedent that it's ok to write laws that ban them based on emotional events then we have lost our freedom here. This site and any others that talk about things the government doesn't like are DEAD.

SO, how about if rather than banning them and making more laws we just point out that you are compromising your OPSEC by using them and let adults make their own decisions based on their own logic?

twp

Staff member
I'm not saying the Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, etc are GOOD. What I am saying is that government regulations are BAD. Like so many things before, something bad happens and minutes later a politician comes along screaming about how we need a new law or prohibition on it, which then later down the line turns into a prohibition of all things even remotely similar. Example, guns. Who really needs a Tommy Gun? Only mafia I say! No self respecting citizen would need one.
That's why I'm saying the we each should "vote with our keyboards" and advertising dollars. There are other channels, such as fora like this one. I've not yet seen a Social Media website which is really "free" of censorship and banning. Hey, we ourselves do that here, but only for spammers...;)

Yes, I hear your argument about Social Media being a major (MAJOR!) place where people can "talk" with each other. Time to wake those people up and tell them to stop following that "Pied Piper"... They are following a carrot on a stick without watching were they are being led... "See that cliff? Follow me and I'll take you over that cliff... For your own good, of course."

Walks away slowly, playing a flute...

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
This about sums it up....

IMG_20200802_083217.jpg

How about if we all take measures to keep ALL governments from spying on us?

twp

Staff member
Hear, Hear!