Preps CANNED MEAT Thread

twp

Admin, Startpage=OK. Google=BAD. DuckDuckGo=Nope
Staff member
I want to dedicate this thread to information about canned meats. By that I mean either commercial canned meats or home canned meats.

BRAND NAME:
You're all probably familiar with Spam(tm) canned ham. There are Many other varieties of NON-Spam canned meats and I would like to be sure to know the brand name on the labels. If you reply, please state the Brand Name from the label.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:
Also, I think it is VERY, VERY important to know the country of origin of Canned Meats. If you reply, please state the country of origin, from the label.

RATING:
Please give us a general rating of how good each type of Canned Meat is. Not just "good" or "bad" but why you are giving it that rating. Feel free to compare a given type to the generic Spam(tm) which I think we are all familiar with.

If you preserve your own meats by canning (GOOD!!!), please tell us the type of meat, the source and how you prepare it. That might include the full recipe on preparation. I'm NOT talking about dried meats, please stick to Canned Meats. If you do dried meats (again Good!), feel free to start another thread on that topic and leave this thread for Canned Meats...

I hope this thread will grow into a useful source of information for all of us and for future members. I'm making this a "sticky" thread which will remain at the top of the forum list.

WolfBrother

Trusted Member
SPAM - Hickory Smoke - I don’t like the flavor of it as much as regular SPAM nor as much as SPAM BACON.
SPAM - Bacon - I like it almost as well as SPAM.

SPAM - all other flavors - tried each once and will do so again only if that’s all there is.

All are US made.

twp

Staff member
Oh, for the purposes of this thread, fish and fowl will also be considered "meat".

WolfBrother

Trusted Member
Armour Star Roast Beef With Gravy, Canned Meat, 12 Oz
country of origin - not listed
I like it. Not real "canned meat" taste to me. Meat texture is good.
I made some with Minute Rice, some additional Beef Bouillon Gravy, and some left over corn, green peas, and carrots from the fridge. Wife didn't believe me when I told her it was canned meat.

1632433227623.png

1632433306695.png

WolfBrother

Trusted Member

Great Value Fully-cooked Roast Beef
country of origin - not listed
I like it. Not real "canned meat" taste to me. Meat texture is good.
In all honesty, in a blind taste test I may not be able to tell the difference between this and the Armour canned Roast Beef AND its less expensive.
Great Value = WalMart house brand

1632433826780.png

1632433855325.png

twp

Staff member
Looks like Yoders is sold out on many products. Either their source dried up or they are so popular they can't keep it in stock?

twp

Staff member
We buy canned chicken, Members Mark by Sam's Foods. 15oz cans. It is chicken breast meat, fully cooked and I rate it high, both for flavor and ease of use. It can be eaten out of the can, but I like to mash it up and add either BBQ sauce or Ranch salad dressing. I do pour off the liquid and add that liquid to our crockpot of perpetual soup rather than eat the liquid directly (the packing liquid, water, is not very tasty).

For tuna, we get Bumble Bee Albacore. 5oz cans. It is labeled as "wild caught" which means it could be coming from many places around the world. Our current stock is labeled "product of Fiji".

I try to avoid Tuna because of it's higher mercury content, but will occasionally mix a can with sweet pickle relish and make a sandwich or eat it with crackers. I rate it as mediocre in terms of flavor and higher because of reasonable shelf life, about a year or two.

Not all Tuna processors label for mercury content, anymore, because people stopped buying tuna if mercury content was on the label... Now, the current trendy thing is whether the food is a GMO - Genetically Modified Organism or does it contain Gluten (tuna? really?) a protein usually found in grain products... Yes, they think we're that stupid...

twp

Staff member
Yep, that's the stuff.;)

twp

Staff member
Do any of you buy NON-Spam canned meats? I mean the Spam lookalikes made by other companies?

jimLE

Actual spam is all I buy, when it comes to that.

Jerry D Young

Trusted Member
I have not seen it out here, and I no longer have any, so I cannot check the details of Treet, which I always preferred to Spam. Very close to the others like Span, except I much preferred the taste, texture, and other aspects overall.

Again, I do not have any left, but my favorite Canned Roast Beef with Gravy was the Hormel brand. I do know that it had beef from Argentina, Brazil, and the US at various times and in various combinations. And it was processed and canned in all three countries I believe, at different times.

It, like a few other Hormel products, are no longer, if they ever were, distributed in this area. I switched to Hereford brand Canned Roast Beef with Gravy and like it almost as well as the Hormel. Enough so I have replaced can for can the Hormel I had as it was rotated, as well as adding even more cans. It is produced in Brazil in a Brazilian government inspected plant. I have had no problems with it during the several years I have used it.

The Walmart house brand of the same product was awful. Tried two cans and never again by choice. The same thing goes for their Canned Roast Beef in broth. Fatty, tough meat, poor tasting broth. Just no.

While normally I would go with the meat in broth since it can be used for almost anything fresh cooked beef can be, the things I can do with the gravy version are more than enough to stay with it as my main canned beef product. Over mashed potatoes, over noodles, on the plate with side dishes, and several other things I have done. It is great.

As accurate as I could do.

Just my opinion.

twp

Staff member
Ah, Armour Treet! That was a name I was trying to recall. I've also not seen it in stores for some time. The flavor was "acceptable" back when I did eat it (years ago).

WolfBrother

Trusted Member
Did a quick scan. Amazon, Family Dollar, and WalMart all show Treet as in stock.

twp

Staff member
Thanks @WolfBrother we'll check the Dollar store and Walmart in our area. They aren't our normal shopping venues so that maybe why I've not seen Treet on our trips.

Day To Day Preppers