1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone recommend a good day pack?

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

My EDC backpack is failing after many years of service and it's time to replace it. If anyone has a good suggestion I would appreciate it. Here is my list of items I'm looking for:

Needs to have a few smaller pockets
    Cannot be tacticool looking in any way
    Must be stout with solid zippers
    Needs to be able to carry a 17" laptop

Other than that I'm pretty open.

Any thoughts?

2. Atlas

3. Quietsurvivalist

Quietsurvivalist Moderator Staff Member

Strangely enough I have bought 2 Kifaru packs and I love them.

I have an MMR and a smaller version I bought when they were clearing out MC packs before the whole line changed

Ive not regretted either purchase other than I tend to baby them more than I should but I cant bring myself to beat on them like my alice packs

4. Atlas

Good to know. The price seems a little steep, and as I dig into some reviews for the bag I like it seems like it might not be worth it. I'll dig a little more.

I also ran across this one, the 5.11 covrt18, it looks pretty good.

5.11 Tactical Covrt 18 Backpack Reviewed

5. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Member

I have two Kifaru packs. Marauder and E&E. Both are great packs and well worth the money I paid.

Just my opinion.

Quietsurvivalist and Atlas like this.
  6. grumpy

grumpy Member

I am ready to replace a 10 year old Eddie Bauer pack that I carry my 17" laptop in. It's not quite sturdy enough for what I haul, but has lasted this long.

I'm thinking of a smaller capacity Kelty RedWing. Maybe a 32L. I am a big fan of Kelty products, my son uses a lot of their gear for Boy Scouts.

Atlas likes this.
  7. Atlas

One like this?

Look at this on eBay Kelty Redwing 32 Backpack - Black

I've never owned a Kelty product personally. I've heard mixed reviews, but that is also over quite a time period so it may not mean much.

8. grumpy

grumpy Member

I have a larger capacity Redwing for 5+ years ago. It has an internal frame that you bend to fit your back's contours. Too much for commuting to work, but I can comfortably carry a bunch of heavy radio gear a few miles without hurting my back.

It's a big day-pack, or a minimal backpacking bag. I would be fine camping overnight, but would upgrade to much more capacity if I was on the trail for several days.

One upside to a mainstream brand, you can often find them at outlets, when a new model year is introduced - or customer returns at the REI "garage sale" and similar. Boutique tactical brands may be superior quality, but there are thousands of reviews for the popular brands.

9. Atlas

I have an osprey bag that I use for overnight jaunts and it has been the best backpack I've owned yet. Very comfortable and very sturdy. I don't really like their day bags though, pockets are most of the problem. They arent really placed well in their day bags.

I have found a few Gregory day packs that I like, but still nothing has jumped out at me. I'll be right by an REI next week, so while I'm there I'll try a few on and see what jumps out at me.

10. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Member

For lower cost items, but still quite decent in quality, are the Maxpedition packs. Some would be suitable, but others are not, just because of the specific design. Might check them out.

Just my opinion.

11. Atlas

I've had a maxpedition condor II pack that I've owned since 2004 and I will say that it's an awesome piece of gear. Unfortunately, I don't use it much because it's way too tactical looking for my tastes. If they made a pack just like it with no molle straps I would definitely go for that.

12. Atlas

I gave the kelty a go around and while I liked it I found it to be just a little too big for EDC.

I really don't want to buy something sight unseen, because even a pack that looks good might not fit good. The search goes on.

13. David

David New Member

I really like the new swiss gear backpacks. All the compartments are just really well thought out. Decent capacity and not that expensive. Other that that I just have a condor and some Alice pack. But those are more long term out and about.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Atlas likes this.
  14. Atlas

How are the zippers and straps on the Swiss gear packs?

15. David

David New Member

Seem good. Smooth strong metal. Only had the pack for 6 months so it is yet to stand the test of time. So far so good though.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Atlas likes this.
  16. Atlas

Thanks, I'll do some amazon browsing and see what I can find.

17. Atlas

I ended up with a high sierra bag. It fit well with my body type and has the right amount of pockets for all my goodies.

High Sierra Swerve Backpack