California - California Heat Wave Prompts Power Shutdowns, Fire Danger

twp

Admin, DuckDuckGo No Longer Recommended
Staff member

twp

Staff member
You'd probably need to get a permission note from Gov. Gavin. We wouldn't want to risk damaging the California environment with too much rain...:eek::eek::eek::eek:

<It's coming anyway, don't tell Newsom>

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
We missed out on this round. Only one power shut off this year, I think a year ago today we were at 20 or so. I'll take the improvement, no matter what the cause.

Reactions: twp

twp

Staff member
Is that because there is nothing left to burn in California? Asking only half in jest.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I think it is for two reasons. One is the public outcry last year was pretty loud and they really don't want that to escalate. The other is that they have been cutting a lot of trees over the last year, which is good. I hope they don't ever stop.

Reactions: twp

twp

Staff member
Plus they need (NEED) to clear the brush under the power lines.

twp

Staff member
Which Should make brush clearing a permanent line item in the state budget. At least it should be, but I'm guessing that that money gets reallocated and/or used for something else on an all-to-frequent basis. Government in operation...

twp

Staff member
Trump changes course, approves California relief for 6 fires
https://www.newser.com/article/02e3...e-approves-california-relief-for-6-fires.html

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — President Donald Trump's administration has reversed course and approved a previously rejected California application for disaster relief funds to clean up damage from six recent wildfires.

Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a statement Friday that he had just got off the phone with Trump who just approved the major disaster declaration.

The White House earlier said the Federal Emergency Management Agency rejected the request because it was not supported by data needed for approval.