1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic Food Storage

Discussion in 'The Learning Center' started by Atlas, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Food storage is arguably the second most important prep behind water, and the subject of today's lesson. In this lesson we will describe what foods are good for storage, how much food should be stored to start out, how to keep track of what you have, and how to avoid wasting both food and money.

To start out there is a saying that is worth mentioning here. It goes "Store what you eat, and eat what you store." While it is good to have excess foods in some situations for barter or other reasons, for the starting prepper let's just ignore all of that for now. If you are just starting out, it is best to stick with things you know.

The best way to do this is to take a look at the big picture. How often do you go to the store for re-supply? It is very common for people to go daily, or every couple of days. The goal of this lesson is to get the student away from doing this. By simply making a trip to the store every other week, rather than a couple days, you extend out your food stores quite a bit. Since storing foods longer than two weeks starts to run into issues with refrigerated goods, we will set the limit there for now.

Set a goal of only grocery shopping for major items at the store every two weeks. In the beginning you will undoubtedly have to make trips to the store for missed items, but take not of what they are and make a point of buying more on your next major shopping day.

Most humans are very set in their diets and don't change what they eat very often. This can make it quite a bit easier to store foods, since all you would need to do is simply buy more of the same things. If you like to mix things up, you will have to work a little harder. A menu matrix will make things easier, where you write out what you plan to cook for a period of time. From there make shopping lists and get enough for the two week goal.

Some people like to use spreadsheets to track their food storage, some people hate them. I am personally in the middle, but find it to be bit too much effort and that effort to not necessarily be worth while.

If you are a spreadsheet type of person, head over to the homesteading section and take a look at the food and water thread. You'll find several food storage worksheets there. For the rest of us, we still have to write down a couple things. The most important thing to write down is what foods do not last the full two weeks. You also need to write down what things you had too much of and also what you did not have enough of. Take a look at this every time you go shopping.

For now, we won't get into long term storage or LTS foods. Let's just focus on getting the food that we eat stored to a point that we are covered in a majority of disasters.

2. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

I had this very issue at one time.

You also need to write down what things you had too much of and also what you did not have enough of. Take a look at this every time you go shopping.

Then one day it clicked.in which,i realized.that I'm doing that,when it comes to,store bought canned foods.i have a shopping app on my tablet.i opened up.and went to the proper shopping folder.then i started looking at the 4 diff locations in which we kept the canned and dry foods.being carfull not to include any food,that'll last 1 month or longer.this not only allowed me to add the foods we're out of.and have less then 1 months supply of.doing that.allowed me to get stocked up on those items as well.pluss i noticed that im well within my budget for the month as well.so i looked through my foods a 2nd time.this time.i only included the foods,in which i only had enough for one month.maybe a lil longer.in which,i only went with,1 to 3 of each item.that shopping trip. got my pantry's up to date.and up to par.now i not only come home from my shopping trips with what i need.but with a lil extra foods as well.

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  3. Atlas

Which app were you using?

4. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

The shopping app is.out of milk...the tablet is over 6 years old.so it still has the old version,of the app.seeing how both no longer gets up dated.

Atlas likes this.
  5. Atlas

hypnos likes this.
  6. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

It came with the nook color i have.but Yeah it is a pretty nice and easy app.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    hypnos and Atlas like this.
  7. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

Food Storage

One excellent resource for and about food storage is the church of LDS.

A couple sidenotes about LDS that you may not know:

During a major catastrophic event this group/church could be a very major player in the United States. They are very prepping oriented, and they have a very tight structure. "Obedience" is a maybe the most desirable trait instilled on church membership. They would be a powerful and organized group in a world that may never come back to normal.
    Within the church doctrine it is also particularly emphasized never to kill a fellow mormon. It has dire spiritual consequences.
    I would recommend anyone serious about prepping for long term disaster to become a known friend of the church, even if their views are incompatible with your own.

They have one of the largest, (if not the largest) ancestry databases in the world. If you are in need of genealogy information, the mormon church is the place to go, and it is free.

Atlas likes this.
  8. Atlas

Having lived in the Salt Lake City region for a while I can say that their preparedness level on a state scale is very good. Utah is definitely going to be just fine in most cases.

The LDS food storage program is definitely worth looking into. If there is one nearby I would recommend checking it out. They are of course a church, so keep that in mind, but I found them to be friendly and helpful.

hypnos likes this.