1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bartering

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

twp likes this.
  2. Atlas

3. Atlas

In this article Paranoid Prepper makes a great argument about precious metals and bartering.
    I tend to agree with him. Making guesses based on guesses gets pretty iffy. My preparedness plan does not assume that I will have any help or anyone to barter with what so ever. If it does work out then all the better, but I prefer not to rely on it.

4. twp

twp Active Member

Personally, I plan on catering to peoples addictions. Alcohol and tobacco are the only two items which I will consider stocking for barter. In a long term crisis, alcohol can be produced from grains and tobacco can be grow if one has the seeds.

Pre-event, I think that having a few (not a whole lot, say a couple dozen) of the tiny bottles of various alcoholic drinks (one shot each) will not take up much space or add much weight. Tobacco pouches, while not cheap, are available now. They are sealed and will keep for at least several months or longer. I would add some rolling papers also.

As in all barter items, it makes sense to Not let it be known that you have more than what you show to the other party.

The bottles of booze don't need to be rotated, but the tobacco will go stale and I would rotate stock about once a year. I would keep the older pouches though, it might be stale, but "beggars can't be choosers" as the saying goes.

All of the above being said, I would not devote much money or storage space to these two items, perhaps a cubic foot box containing both items.