1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - Why Are We Seeing So Many Bare Shelves at Grocery Stores Across the Country?

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

It's like all news. Unless you can verify it, sometimes by multiple sources, you can't trust it.

hypnos likes this.
  2. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

I can't help but wonder.exactly what all would happen if a winter storm hit at the beginning of winter.and would last until the end of winter.i know that folks would die from freezing starvation and thrist.then there's all of the other ways.

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  3. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

@jimLE Much depends on what is normal weather for a given region. The US midwest is known for bad winter storms and more of the residents are prepared for them to happen. It we had a real "climate change" and not just seasonal weather variation (Hi Al Gore, I see you watching), then more people would be UNprepared and suffer the consequences.

Look at the current "Polar Vortex" (nice buzzword for the media to toss around), the winter storms and freezing weather are still within the range of historically expected conditions. That doesn't mean that people have not been caught unprepared, many residents are new enough to the region that they might not know what to expect, don't prep and are in danger.

My expectation is that a severe event, of almost every possible type, will result in deaths. Particularly if the event lasts for a longer time. Aside from becoming an evangelist for Prepping (which I am), I don't see any way to avoid this. I believe that you cannot save everyone, sad as that is to contemplate and bad as it will be.

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  4. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

I agree that the midwest folks are prepared for getting snowed in for a few days to power outagess to what ever.but yet.how many of them are prepared for one that starts from the beginning of winter to the end of winter?

hypnos likes this.
  5. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

You're correct, not enough are ready for a long term "hard winter". My point was that hard weather is a known factor in the area and more people there are prepared for it, either physically, by having prepper supplies, or at least mentally because they have experienced it before. If they have already gone through one bad winter, and fail to prep for the next on, then they will suffer the consequences. At some point, people must act (prep) on their own. Those who don't learn from the past... wind up in FEMA camps.

Atlas, hypnos and jimLE like this.
  6. hypnos

hypnos Moderator Staff Member

What upsets me is the schizophrenic nature of our government. The red cross, FEMA, etc have a list of recommendations for a family "emergency kit" which is better than nothing, but seriously lacking for situations where you would need it most like destructive storms, etc. On the one hand, parts of our government condemn preparedness while other parts encourage it in a very soft way.

Some people have gone as far as blaming preppers for hoarding, and i have met several people with that misconception, and profoundly stupid ideology. Do people not realize it isn't hoarding if you aren't taking everything off the shelf during an emergency? Infact, a prepper is one less person who would need to, and the ones consistently to blame for looting, panic buying and hoarding are the exact people who would laugh in your face and call you paranoid before a catastrophe breeches the horizon.

The problem is it isn't mainstream and cool enough when people care more about what underwear some Jenner was wearing. Let the disasters come, let them wipe their butts with people magazine when they run out of toilet paper, seriously how people care about pop culture more than freedom and feeding/protecting their families I'll never understand.

Atlas and jimLE like this.
  7. Atlas

I couldn't have said it better myself.

hypnos likes this.
  8. hypnos

Thanks , @Atlas. It's frustrating isn't it? I was in a Walmart a couple years ago and some poor guy went to sporting goods to buy a brick of .22Lr. The upper management Walmart lacky just gave him a sarcastic grin and said "yeah! Fill the bunker!!!!" Now, I had to laugh. Granted his delivery was perfect, but part of me wanted to pull him over the counter by his collar and slap the excrement from his empty cranium. Anyone who actually would consider preparing for a bad situation, after seeing that reaction wouldn't even bother because of how socially awkward people are making it to not be an idiot.

Atlas likes this.
  9. hypnos

The people dictating what "common sense" is toward prepping or firearms are not common, and they have no sense. With their drivers and security and cocktail parties, You couldn't get any farther seperated from the everyday man working his hands to the bone who knows he has no one protecting him or his family but him.

Atlas likes this.
  10. Atlas

I honestly dont even listen to those types of people any more. All it did was frustrate me.

hypnos likes this.