1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - Why Are We Seeing So Many Bare Shelves at Grocery Stores Across the Country?

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Feb 6, 2019.

1. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

I'm posting this in the publicly visible forum because I'd like to hear from others on this topic.

Thinking back, I have seen a few store shelves which were not full. We only shop once a month, so I have no real long term tracking on this.

Read the article and compare your shops and stores to what is reported here (it is in the US). I'd particularly appreciate hearing from people outside the US states.

https://www.theorganicprepper.com/bare-shelves/

I note the list of possible causes for this, again mostly related to US businesses. Most of our larger commercial stores, those which are located in many states, rely on JIT (Just In Time) shipping from mega warehouses. This has long been seen as a weak point in the shipping and supply designs... This method has some potential problems, not the least of which is that big stores no longer keep much stock "in the back room"...

2. jdp

jdp Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing that here. When I went shopping last night it was all packed pretty tight.

twp likes this.
  3. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

The stores here all stocked up as well. It probably has more to do with winter than anything else.

4. twp

I hope it is weather related. Shipping in the midwest and eastern US must be a mess now.

5. Atlas

I'm sure that it is.

6. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

I had seen empty shelves once when it comes to where i do my primary shopping.. The one item i rember is the eggs.there was i guess 1/4 at the most.compared to what should of been there.that was at least 3 months ago.

Atlas likes this.
  7. soyer38301

soyer38301 Well-Known Member

Not seeing that in hellinois at this point.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Atlas likes this.
  8. Atlas

hypnos likes this.
  9. twp

Looks like a great example of what might happen in a Real event. The unprepared are dangerous...

10. Atlas

It sure is a good reminder of how real it can get, isn't it?

hypnos likes this.
  11. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

Every prepper is a nutjob until a snow storm. Then it might be a good idea to have a few things handy to help you survive when the house of cards topples.

Atlas likes this.
  12. Atlas

Haha! So VERY TRUE!

hypnos likes this.
  13. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Well-Known Member

We had a similar phenomenon go on over here last spring. It was caused the snowstorm that pretty much covered the country.
    It lasted a couple of weeks while the supply chain sorted itself out and it was mainly fresh foods that were missing I suppose it took a couple of weeks for things to get back to normal. Apparently lorries got stuck in the wrong place and distribution staff couldn't get in to work.

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  14. twp

Here, in Reno, NV, we get a lot of our food stocks trucked over the mountains from California. There are three main routes over those hills. The south route more than doubles the mileage if the closest route is blocked by snow. The northern route is a similar distance away. Food prices in winter are generally stable unless we get a bad snow storm. That hasn't happened in about a decade, but nothing is certain with weather... Fortunately, weather is generally a short term event and routes reopen in a few days at worst.

Other events (EMP, war, floods, etc.) could break our food supply chain too and might have a much longer window of impact. So we prep, but the State of NV, on the whole, does not...

hypnos likes this.
  15. Atlas

You should see the line of trucks when they close that interstate. The other day it was closed and the trucks were parked along the freeway for 30 miles waiting for it to open. That was only one day. It's an interesting sight to see.

hypnos and jimLE like this.
  16. twp

OMG, We're all gonna starve here in Reno! Well, some might, but not me.

hypnos and jimLE like this.
  17. Atlas

I'm sure it'll be fine. It sure does make interesting news though.

hypnos likes this.
  18. twp

Yeah, just look at what the news spinmeisters can do with an empty shelf... News from nothing...

hypnos likes this.
  19. Atlas

That's a good example of how a picture is easy to manipulate a scene.

hypnos likes this.
  20. twp

This makes me wonder if they sent photographers to stores during the restocking hours (usually late night, early morning) just to get enough pictures to fill out their story line? I did not see any date on the shelf images being posted.

I have seen empty shelves, on and off for many years, but they don't seem any more prevalent now vs any other time.

Until a shortage lasts for more than a day or two, I'm not raising my alert status.

hypnos and Atlas like this.