1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - Wash Your Hands!

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Nov 6, 2019.

1. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

I know this may seem like it falls in the category of "Well Duh!" but too many people fail to understand simple, basic hygiene...

This may become a critical factor in a SHTF world, particularly if you're in a pandemic situation. Plan on it.

https://prepschooldaily.blogspot.com/2019/11/wash-your-hands.html

Here is a list, post it where everyone can read it:

Atlas likes this.
  2. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Active Member

My normal "Field Hygiene and Sanitation" class always has a "What to wash when short on water" part.

Prioritized from least to plenty of water:

Wash
    1. Hands, then if you have enough water:
    2. Face around mouth, then if you have enough water:
    3. Your Junk - front and back, then if you have enough water:
    4. Your Feet, then if you have enough water:
    5. Your armpits, then if you have enough water:
    6. Enjoy the shower due to plenty of water

Atlas and twp like this.
  3. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Active Member

I am open to questions, comments, discussion, or whatever concerning what I post.

Atlas and twp like this.
  4. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

That's the way to do it. Realistically it only takes a couple of gallons to do this. While camping over extended periods I use a solar hot water bag like this.

https://www.greenlivingtips.com/articles/solar-shower-bag.html

It is 5 gallons, and that is enough for me and my wife to both take a decent shower. She obviously can't wash her hair, but I have a whole lot less and can.

One of these showers is a pretty good prep item to have, as they are cheap and can be used without any energy at all.

WolfBrother and twp like this.
  5. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

On the mining claim, where we had plenty of water, we built a wood fired water heater using 1/4 inch copper tubing and chimney flue pipes. That steam was used to heat and to fill the shower bucket. It would flash water to steam which was caught in the bucket. It only used a small handful of wood sticks.

Atlas likes this.