1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article- Top 3 alternative cooking methods

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

twp, hypnos and Punty like this.
  2. Punty

Punty Active Member

Bravo! on the Sternos! You may recall I am a fan of them. Leak free, backup fire starting, alternate cooking devices, and ultimately a watertight tin when done. I recently used one to make charred punkwood, but sometimes the seal pops off with the heat, so it's not ideal for that.

I have basically gel stoves, a portable charcoal hibachi style grill, and a small variety of backpacking wood burning stoves. The gel stoves I would treat as last resort, indoor cooking. I keep 10 or 12 in my cabinets...each one burns about 2.5 hours.

In all cases, I would rely on wood for cooking, except where I have to cook indoors.

EDIT: I am a subscriber to her channel and a fan. I like her a lot...just a common sense mom not trying to be anything else. She turned me on to Firmoo, where I buy glasses online. I have like 6 pairs now...they are inexpensive enough to keep a pair in the bug out bag, in the car, have some prescription sunglasses, and whatever else.

Morgan, Atlas and hypnos like this.
  3. Atlas

@Morgan does good work, for sure.

I'll check out the glasses site. That is a really good idea!

Morgan likes this.
  4. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

I've got a propane single burner, but no fuel cans in stock, several cans of Sterno (not enough). Wood is preferred fuel when camping with the propane as the alternative. We live in an apartment with electric stoves and a ban on using open fire devices for cooking or heating. In a SHTF event, I'd use the propane anyway but would need to cache the fuel canisters somewhere nearby. I also collect candle stubs and fiberglass wicks which can be placed in a metal tin (cookie tin) and used for small cooking jobs. Candles also don't product much smoke.

Morgan and Atlas like this.
  5. Morgan

Morgan New Member

Thank you for sharing! And thanks y’all for the kind words.

Firmoo is still good and I’ve also gotten glasses from Zenni. I wear them as my everyday and for backups. So glad you’re able to get them!

Punty, twp and Atlas like this.
  6. Atlas

I have heard of Zenni before, but have not tried them.

Not a problem. You do good work.

Morgan and twp like this.