Article - Top 16 Barter Items Every Prepper Should Have

twp

Admin, DuckDuckGo No Longer Recommended
Staff member
My comments are below.

https://survivalcache.com/barter-items-prepper-should-have

The author recommends these items. My comment is on each

Cash, Gold and Silver. Some cash (low value fiat), not enough Gold or Silver.

Canned Goods. About two months worth of canned foods, if we don't ration it.

Fresh Foods. Very little. Some vegetables and other foods which need to be refrigerated. Short storage life. None for barter.

Water. About 50 gallons in soda bottles and 5 gallons jugs. Short term supply only.

Medical Supplies. Very little. Some OTC drugs such as aspirin. Very limited antibiotics. Some bandage items. We have a lack here.

Luxury Consumables. A few, mostly soaps and lotions which we don't use very frequently.

Hygiene. Body washing soaps for about 4 months, clothes detergents for 6-8 months, Toilet paper for about two months, towels and wash cloths.

Hand tools. Hand saw, hammers, screw drivers, chisels, few screws and nails (not enough), flashlights for everyone plus extras. Need more.

Fuel. Nothing, due to apartment regulations. Need to have an outside cache for these.

Weapons. Nothing in the apartment due to lease restriction. OPSEC prevents me from listing my other weapons, but I have some.

Batteries. Enough for our flashlights and rechargers for those. Need more, but they have a limited lifetime, whether used or not.

Flashlights. See Hand Tools, above.

Cloths. Several changes for each of us. Seasonal cloths such as coats and raincoats. Nothing for barter unless we are in dire straights.

Duct Tape
. Some in stock, None for barter. I'd like to have a case of tape in storage. Not a long term storage item (a couple of years).

Fire. I have several means of starting fires. Some are limited lifetime, such as Ferrocerrium rods which eventually wear out. A few butane lighters (limited storage life, they leak). A few matches in waterproof containers.

Skills. I have some skills which might be offered in barter for other items. OPSEC says don't list these here. I would make my skill set public if a situation arises where a trade might be done.

There are certainly other items which we have which might be offered for trade. This is NOT an exhaustive list.

While maintaining your OPSEC, what do some of you have for barter?

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I cut and pasted mine from yours, and added where I needed to.

Cash, Gold and Silver. Yes, we have some.

Canned Goods. Several months worth. Some for barter as well.

Fresh Foods. We eat what we produce, with the exception of persimmons and walnuts from the trees and plan on using those for barter if need be. Also have fig, cherry and apple trees planted that should produce next year.

Water. We are set.

Medical Supplies. Some OTC drugs such as aspirin. A normal supply ofantibiotics. A good selection bandage items and medical equipment, but probably not enough to barter with.

Luxury Consumables. A few, but not much.

Hygiene. Body washing soaps for about 18 months, clothes detergents for 18 months, Toilet paper for about a year, towels and wash cloths.

Hand tools. Looking good, but nothing to barter with unless times get rough.

Fuel. Enough on hand to run the genset for a month solid. Also keep diesel for the truck and the tractor on hand. Probably not going to want to barter this unless times are real bad.

Weapons. All set.

Batteries. Coming out of my ears at this point. We have made the transition to 100% rechargeable now.

Flashlights. All set, with some for barter.

Cloths. Several changes for each of us. Seasonal cloths such as coats and raincoats. Nothing for barter.

Duct Tape. Some in stock, None for barter.

Fire. I have several means of starting fires. Some are limited lifetime, such as Ferrocerrium rods which eventually wear out. A few butane lighters (limited storage life, they leak). A few matches in waterproof containers.

Skills. I have some skills which might be offered in barter for other items. OPSEC says don't list these here. I would make my skill set public if a situation arises where a trade might be done.

Reactions: twp