1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - The Linux command-line cheat sheet

Discussion in 'Useful articles written by others' started by twp, Feb 7, 2019.

1. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

This is for those who are currently using Linux and for those in the future who move to Linux.

I started computing on a mainframe computer in college. It was ALL command line. When the PC (Personal Computer came to be, I used Basic, again all command line but using scripts. Over the years since, I've found that the GUI (Graphical User Interface) has made my life easier, but at the expense of an added layer between my brain and the code which runs a computer. This can be a problem when you need to debug something...

Today, far more new computer users are never exposed to the command line interface and know only the GUI tools. That is sad, but a reality.

If you want to take command of your computer, I strongly advise that you learn how to use the command line instruction set. Even Microsoft Windows has a command line interface... (Don't be sucked into that black hole).

This article is specifically for users of the Linux Operating System (OS), which is my ONLY recommended OS. The article contains a subset (not an inclusive list) of the common commands you might use when you interact with your computer. I recommend printing this cheat sheet and use it to become familiar with Linux command line usage.

https://www.networkworld.com/article/3337516/linux/the-linux-command-line-cheat-sheet.html

hypnos and Atlas like this.