1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article- The importance of starting a Family Emergency Plan

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Attached Files:

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Well-Known Member

no we don't use it ourselves, there is only the two of us and we know what to do, in any case we are together 24/7 most of the time- a few hours or a day or so apart depending on the wife's research. so our needs are more simple.
    but for someone away working, wife an another job site, kids in school, it would be good to decide what to do, where to go, where to meet, in an emergency.

3. Atlas

If someone came to you and said "I am just getting started with prepping, but it all seems so overwhelming. Where do I start?" What is your reply?

4. lonewolf

start with the basics....food and water. we all need those to live.
    get a few extra cans of what you like to eat each time you go to the store, and remember "eat what you store, store what you eat" and "rotate, rotate, rotate"...put the new cans to the back of the cupboard, shelf, or whatever, bring the old cans forward and eat those first.
    buy bottles of water at the store, bring home and put in a dry, cool, place out of direct sunlight.
    I have started a couple of forums with this very same advice.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    jimLE and Atlas like this.
  5. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Well-Known Member

We use the GOV.UK version of the same thing. It's always a good idea to have something written down, it's easy to forget something in a rush especially if you have a family and these lists are a great aide memoir. The one our government provides is maybe not as detailed but it gives the general idea and for someone just starting out, it's as good a place as any to make a start and that's really what we want to encourage.
    Link to government emergency plan Preparing for emergencies.
    Most Councils also produce Emergency Plans for people to download and follow.

Attached Files:

Atlas likes this.
  6. Sally Rudd

Yay! I posted a PDF!!:D

I have also just come across the British Red Cross website Emergency Response page. They also have an app, which I am about to download.

From the Red Cross website. Free emergency apps | British Red Cross

"Emergency situations can be stressful, dangerous and upsetting.

But if you’re prepared, anyone can deal with the unexpected.

The free British Red Cross Emergency app can help you deal with emergencies. You’ll know exactly what to do if disaster strikes.

The app is available in the Apple App Store and Google Play. It allows you to:

• set up emergency alerts for your area. This includes severe weather warnings
    • add the location of family and friends. You’ll be able to let them know if a warning is issued for their area or when an emergency strikes, and check they’re safe
    • check the current UK terrorism threat level.
    In addition to alerts, the app also features:

• a personal alarm and strobe light to attract attention in emergencies
    • a location finder, so you’ll always know exactly where you are
    • an ‘I’m safe’ notification that can be sent to your friends and family
    • clear and practical advice on what to do in a variety of emergency situations.
    Our First Aid app is another free download that can help in emergencies.

The app is available in the Microsoft Store, Apple App Store and Google Play.

It gives information on how to prepare for and help with first aid emergencies such as:

• heavy bleeding
    • burns
    • broken bones
    • strains and sprains
    • not breathing.
    Our Baby and Child First Aid app is also available for download.

This free app is designed to keep children and babies safe.

Download it from the Apple App Store and Google Play.

The app provides simple and easy first aid advice, and also allows you to record a child’s medication needs and any allergies."

Atlas likes this.
  7. lonewolf

apps apps, there wont be any apps in an emergency.
    what did we all do before everyone relied on apps and the internet??
    oh that's right, we thought for ourselves, not expected some machine to do it for us.

8. Sally Rudd

The best Emergency Plan I have read is the AlertSwiss Plan. It has some great information in it.

Attached Files:

Atlas likes this.
  9. Atlas

Nice work of the uploads! Very good and helpful posts @Sally Rudd. Thank you.

The Swiss book is a very good one. We have a thread going on it elsewhere and it seems to be well excepted.

Not all disasters are going to bring down the grid. Not all preppers are at the same level of preparedness as you are. The younger generation is definitely centered around smartphone and if this helps get folks going down the path, then that is ok.

10. Sally Rudd

I downloaded the app and it has some useful things on it, from information to an alarm and activation of the led either as a torch (flashlight:)) or strobe useful to get you noticed. It also has direct access to the UK terrorism threat level and it sends alerts about emergencies in your immediate area and can send an 'I'm OK' direct to your nominated contacts. All in all, it's a handy thing to have. :)

Atlas likes this.
  11. Atlas

The local government actually has a really good emergency management system that will send you email alerts based on your preferences. It will tell you everything from fires in your neighborhood to disasters on a county level and in between. We find it very helpful when there is a forest fire nearby, their updates are far better than any news source. If they had an app, it would be popular.

12. lonewolf

the trouble with smartphones and youngsters is that the two go together usually to the exclusion of everything else, prepping is mostly an older persons hobby, youngsters are chasing the next job or the next new car or the latest bit of tail to worry about when or if TSHTF.
    its when you get older that you realise how precarious modern life really is.
    I'm lucky in that my parents went through WW2 and they passed on their knowledge about having a larder and not running out of stuff-not just food- I was brought up in a era before supermarkets and mobile phones, WW2 to most people these days is just history and ancient history at that.
    those that fail to learn the lessons of history are destined to repeat them.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Atlas likes this.
  13. Atlas

I understand and respect your opinion, because it is mostly true. However, not entirely. I am the son of Baby Boomers. I started out in wilderness survival at a young age, taught by a very good friends uncle who was a Marine. He would teach me back country survival skills regularly all through high school. I continued practicing those skills heavily until I had a kid. Once my daughter was born, I was in my 20's, I very quickly realized that dragging my wife and baby into the woods during any disaster was going to be a really bad idea.

I have personally talked with, and met with hundreds of other people who went through that exact same reality check. Settling down and becoming responsible for the livelihood of a family is a big step, many people take it seriously and want to be prepared.

Don't throw all younger generations under the bus. They aren't all bad solely because they walk around with a smart phone in their hand. Some of us take it seriously, and are even passing these skills on to our children.

14. lonewolf

it just seems, at least here in Britain everyone from 4-40 years of age has their nose pressed to against a mobile screen to the exclusion of everything else, it has just been stated that British people on average only spend 10 years of their entire life in the outdoors, the other 60 or 70 years is all spent indoors.

Atlas likes this.
  15. Atlas

It is very common here as well. It doesnt stop at 40 here, it is more like 60. Everyone in my town uses them. My parents included.

As for your statement about being outdoors, I wonder if that is because of smart phones or a bigger problem. I think it has more to do with standard of living. Most people have no need or desire to go outside, and 90 percent of work is not physical labor any more. No need to go.

16. Sally Rudd

I'm with you @Atlas. I was raised by parents who went through the war as well, my family is what we call good farming stock and I grew up in the country. I have an abiding love of the outdoors and country life in general. In fact I'm off to the Lake District camping in a couple of weeks.:) However, I like technology and how it can help me in life, work and my prepping. I don't think that's wrong, if others choose not to use technology, well, that's not wrong either.
    I think it is all to easy to read MSM and watch TV and believe all the bad they report about people, assume all young(and older) people are completely enamoured of their technology, maybe they are, maybe, like me they also love the outdoors and do other things. Simply because people do not live like you or as you would like does not mean they are wrong. Narrowmindedness and negativity seems to be a fault of many preppers, and really, it matters not how anyone lives their life. At the end of the day, I don't think it's up to us to be judgemental about how anyone chooses to live. After all, they might think the very same thing of you and as long as I can live how I like, I'm not going to condemn anyone else's lifestyle choices:D

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  17. Sally Rudd

Oh, and to prove a point. The App saved me some aggravation today. It pinged an alert to me about a road traffic accident that blocked the road the bus uses to get me to the rail station. I took a taxi instead and still caught the same train.;)

18. lonewolf

I don't much care how other people live their lives, I don't much care about people-full stop, they can stay indoors in the dark for all I care.
    but come SHTF they aren't going to know what to do, their technology wont help them then, the grid will be down and they are going to have to fend for themselves, some hope!
    the more you remove people from nature, natural things, and how their food is grown the worse off they will be in a catastrophe, maybe that's what TPTB want, so they can order them about and force them into concentration camps, relying on food hand outs, not knowing where the next meal is coming from.
    of course they wont think like that, they'll say "it'll never happen" and bury their heads in the sand.

19. lonewolf

and they wonder why Britain has an obesity crisis??

20. Sally Rudd

LOL But you obviously do Lonewolf. You spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about, writing and condemning other people and how they live.
    If you cared so little you wouldn't want to discuss it all the time.
    Ah well, I'm off to go use my smart phone to bring up my recipe book and go cook dinner. :D