1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - Texas Power Grid Operator Declares Level 1 Emergency Amid "Extreme Heat"

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Aug 14, 2019.

1. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

This is just a FYI about potential problems with the electric grid. This article is specific to Texas, but do look at the embedded map of temperatures across the US and note your own region.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019...costs-hit-record-high-monday-heatwave-strikes

If the Texas grid were to go down, it may (perhaps, maybe) cascade to other parts of the national electrical grid.

Are you Prepped for that to happen?

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  2. twp

hypnos likes this.
  3. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Good Luck down there @jimLE I hope that the lights stay on.

hypnos and twp like this.
  4. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Active Member

Texas has their own grid, which is interconnected to the national grid. Because they are worried, with good reason, about the national grid taking theirs down, their interconnects are set to trip really quickly. Which should, I believe, work both ways, tripping quickly if the Texas grid goes down, before it could pull down the national grid.

Just my opinion.

hypnos, Atlas and twp like this.
  5. twp

@Jerry D Young I hope that Texas grid disconnect works as expected... We have had small, short power glitches here in Reno, NV in the last two months. Our temperatures are 90+ every day. Lots of air conditioners and fans running. I'm good with that because my computers all have UPS or battery backups, but a long term problem is what I worry about...

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  6. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Active Member

Earlier this year I saw a report from ERCOT (Electric Reliability Council of Texas) concerning power usage and reserve. Based on that and anticipating a hot summer I knew we'd be facing probable rolling power outages.

The report headline from the URL above states - Texas Power Grid Operator Declares Level 1 Emergency Amid "Extreme Heat"
    A level 1 emergency is akin to sounding "Boots and Saddles", notice to conserve is sent out and all sources (including out of grid) are pulled in.
    A level 2 emergency is one where industrial users contractually are shut off.
    A level 3 emergency is one where rolling outages start hitting "Ebber Boty".

Knowing how my wife handles and doesn't handle heat, I started looking for a battery powered fan. I found the following RIGID brand fan:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Hybrid-Fan-Tool-Only-R860720B/205907844

I bought it, a charger, and two 9 amp-hour batteries. At full force and on high, the 2 can power the fan slightly over 2 full days.
    I bought a second one for my SSon and his wife.

Jerry D Young, Atlas and twp like this.
  7. twp

@WolfBrother, that's good battery life. Combined with some wet neck scarves, that could keep a person comfortable. I would add a solar powered charging station.

Jerry D Young and Atlas like this.
  8. WolfBrother

The fan is somewhat low draw in terms of power needed.

The original plan was to prepare for rolling blackouts, charge the batteries when power is on, use the fan when power is out.

When I suggested adding a wet T-shirt, my just gave me a look.

Jerry D Young, Atlas and twp like this.
  9. twp

:D:D:D I know that look...
    However, I do use a wet T-shirt frequently. I just pour a cup or two of water over my head and let the T-shirt catch the drips.

Atlas likes this.
  10. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

i was watching the news yesterday. and not sure.but i think it was ercot.that gave a conserve electricity notice.then cancled it later on.but yet asked everyone to use fans instead of ac when it's possible for them to do so.thats when i was already doing so.i have the tower fan my mom had bought. in which i used it for i don't know how long.i checked the thermostat after at least 2 or 3 hours later.it was 89 in here.but felt cooler.

Atlas and twp like this.
  11. WolfBrother

If you are in Texas, it was ERCOT. Each stage has a specific mega-wattage in reserve number, that when reached triggers the alerts. Once the reserve mega-wattage gets above the trigger, the alert is cancelled.

I have a cool room set up. It has a shaded High Efficiency window unit in it. When the alert hits, I up the whole house thermostat, close the doors to the cool room, and turn on the window unit. My wife, who has health issues that heat can cause problems with, gets to continue watching TV and staying cool, AND the overall routine electrical usage level for my house drops to about 1/2 to 1/4 of normal usage.

ERCOT does a pretty good job of managing the Texas grid. The politicians and their regulatory agencies do a pretty good job of making it impossible to profitably upgrade the Texas grid in infrastructure and in capacity.

12. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

i need a efficient window unit for one of my bedroom windows.that way i can turn it on at night.n close the bedroom door.and still have access of the bathroom.and have the main ac unit turned off.

Atlas and twp like this.
  13. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Active Member

I like that system WolfBrother. So far Black & Decker has not offered one for their cordless tool batteries. They do have a USB power head that goes onto the batteries to provide 5vDC USB charging capability. I do have a couple of those. I have both a USB powered personal small fan and an Arctic Air mini/micro swamp cooler that is USB 5vDC powered. It works extremely well and got me through the recent times when my apartment AC was not working and I could not get things moved around so maintenance could come in and change it out. (That is done now, so I do have AC at the moment in the apartment.)

I really like your cold room, WolfBrother. I was advocating a Warm Roof/Cool Room to be included in new houses and major remodels when I was in the building trades in the 70s and early 80s. There were major issues at that time in the Bootheel of Missouri with electrical power supply, long periods of heat, and colder than usual times. Also ice storms in the winter during those very cold periods.

Never got a single homeowner to incorporate my ideas during those several years. It just was not being done by 'The Jones'. Instead they were getting a new pickup truck every year to do their mostly windshield farming and that was more important that a Warm Room/Cool Room. Even though it only added literally a few hundred dollars, if that, to the construction. It was mostly planning and arrangement. (Geez! I did not realize I was quite so bitter about those things. Same with always going with minimums for the electrical and plumbing. No more electrical outlets than what the codes required, and no valves on supply lines that were not required by code, etc.)

I have several methods for alternative heat as well as keeping cool. It can be a life & death situation for me, too, so I have had to figure out ways to provide solutions to both situations.

Just my opinion.

twp and Atlas like this.