1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article-south China Sea controversy

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

2. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

"odd" is right. With the rhetoric about CNN being "fake news", you'd expect that they would need to request permission to be on such a flight... Who gave that permission?

China is trying to expand it's control of the South China sea area, and that includes crossing some lines claimed by other countries. The US is the only country able to challenge that, with military presence anyway. I'm not hearing about any political opposition from the UN either, but then the news doesn't carry much about the UN actions anymore.

Atlas likes this.
  3. Atlas

It seems like a PR stunt more than saber-rattling.

I wonder if the Chinese will ever do anything about it, or if they will just continue to pretty much ignore it and do whatever they want.

4. twp

Definitely PR involved in this. My understanding is that some shipping channels are now blocked by China's claims. That has not been challenged, yet. It must cost a bundle to move a shipping route around those island bases. How long before a incident occurs? I'm sure they (China) want to make a test case out of such an event.

Atlas likes this.
  5. Atlas

Companies that are affected by the changes in the shipping route will either find another route or be replaced by someone who will. The added costs get passed along to the consumer.

Global shipping is a very tight market, most companies don't have any leeway at all, any added costs go straight to the person who wants their goods shipped.

6. twp

I can totally understand how added costs will be passed down to the customer, you and I, not just to the shipping company. This relates to the tariffs being applied in the current US/China trade war. We haven't begun to experience much of those price increases... yet... but they are coming.

Atlas likes this.