1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article - Should You Drink Post-SHTF Tap Water?

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Feb 11, 2020.

1. twp

twp Make DuckDuckGo.com Your Search Engine. Staff Member

I'm posting this link on the public side of this forum so that all visitors may read it. This is important for those who drink water... That'd be you, right?

https://www.survivalsullivan.com/drinking-shtf-tap-water/

2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Water is the most important prep, and the minimum amount is going to seem like a lot to some, but do a little test and see how much your toilet uses for ever flush and then you'll start to understand the basics.

twp likes this.
  3. twp

2.5 to 4 gallons, depending on which toilet is used. Glad I don't live downstream from the sewage treatment plant...

Atlas likes this.
  4. Atlas

Are you sure?

WolfBrother likes this.
  5. old guy

old guy Active Member

Dig a depression in the ground in a sunny area. Put a pot in the middle of the depression. Duct tape a 1/4"or 3/8" tube from the bottom of the pot to outside of the depression. Cover the depression with clear visqueen and anchor around the edges with rocks and dirt. In the center over the pot place a rock so the visqueen sloops down to the pot. Condensation will drip into the pot and you can drink this water through the tubing. Make several of these to produce enough water for your drinking needs. It beats toilet water and is renewable.

Atlas and twp like this.
  6. twp

Hmmm... Come to think of it, we're all downstream from Tahoe... At least Reno uses well water which is filtered by a few feet of dirt from the river. Not a great consolation though.

Atlas likes this.
  7. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Well-Known Member

Anyone whose primary source of drinking water is a river, unless you’re at the head waters, is downstream from a sewage treatment plant.

Beals creek headwaters west of Big Spring, Tx. The FIRST place that dumps treated effluent into it is Big Spring. Beals Creek joins into the Colorado River south of Colorado City, TX. Ultimately, the Colorado River dumps into the Gulf of Mexico. Lots of cities along the way, including Austin, pulls water from it and puts treated effluent into it.

Big Spring is at the head of the Beals Creek tributary chain. So Ebber Boty down stream of them gets their treated effluent. Including Big Spring because they pump water from Lake Spence (down stream from Beals Creek/Colorado River confluence). So you need to know where your tap water headwaters from to know.

Post SHTF? Yup - from my tap - thru a large coffee/tea filter - into my Royal Berkey.

This past year, when the first ever boil notice hit Austin? From my tap - thru the large coffee filer - into my Berkey.

Atlas and twp like this.
  8. Atlas

That does work surprisingly well, but it does depend on where you are and what the humidity is there.

twp likes this.
  9. Atlas

I doubt there are many rivers in the world that aren't polluted at this point. Some are seemingly cleaner than others, but who really knows?

Taking precautions is a good idea.

Punty, WolfBrother and twp like this.
  10. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

It's a great thing that i have a few cases of bottled water at this time.on account i woke up to low water pressure this morning. im thinking a busted water main could be the issue.but yet.it could be something else.with all the rain we've been getting the last few day's.

twp, Punty, WolfBrother and 1 other person like this.
  11. twp

Gosh, isn't that kinda like being Preppered? You should tell other people, you know, in case they might want to do that too... :D:D:D

Atlas, jimLE and Punty like this.
  12. Punty

Punty Active Member

Maybe it is because of my location, New England, but if there is any doubt whatsoever, I will not be drinking tap water, because I have water all over the place outside, and several ways to filter it, if I can't boil it...not to mention rain water (Keep in mind, rain water will only be as clean as what you trap it in. People make that mistake...whatever bacteria is on your tarp, or your shingles, or whatever, will be in your water, too.)

I don't feel the need to stockpile water at all, I stockpile filters. Primarily, I have a few Berkey Bottles with the built in filter, and some Sawyer water filters.

Yes, outside water can have issues, including heavy metals....but nothing will be worse than untreated tap water. That's practically a death sentence.

Atlas and twp like this.
  13. twp

@Punty, it's those heavy metals that would be a worry for me and why I would stockpile water. We use 2 liter soda bottles as our day-to-day water source and several 5 gallon water jugs for uses like filing the toilet tank. Each 5 gallon jug will fill the tank twice and we would be practicing "flush only for #2 and not for #1".

Plus, I've seen reports on the Corona Virus which suggests that it is airborne, no idea how far it might be carried.

Punty and Atlas like this.
  14. Punty

Punty Active Member

I probably have a different situation. I live in a condo, which means that I don't have storage space for things like water, and also, if things got really bad, I'm not sticking around to ride it out, because I live in a small city, in a condominium complex.

I can ride things out for a few days, and I know my immediate area fairly well, so I have a fair grasp of what water is untouchable and what water is probably OK, but more importantly, I have a couple of friends and family who have well water. I'd be fine in the short term.

Anything approaching long term, or anything where proximity to people is a danger, I'm out. Gone. Headed to the north country, by vehicle, by bicycle, or by foot. Bugging in is not a real option for me in any really bad scenario....especially since I live on the ground floor in the building, so even security would be an issue (although in case of fire, I can just climb out the window no problem...pros and cons).

twp and Atlas like this.
  15. Atlas

Every person is going to have their own way of doing things. I personally store BOTH filters and extra water, because you never know and it is that important. Even in you scenario @Punty I would. What if you are forced into quarantine quickly like the people of Wuhan?

Punty, twp and jimLE like this.
  16. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

my next door neighbors wife is in the hospital due to health issue's. and because of that.i was just thinking of the possibility of being quarantined due to what ever.flu.corona to what ever.simply because one of us got it.then the other.and no.he's not prepared for it at all.and im not completely prepared for it.

Punty, twp and Atlas like this.
  17. Atlas

I have no idea how anyone could be completely prepared for it. All that you can do is keep on working towards that as a goal.

jimLE, WolfBrother and Punty like this.
  18. old guy

old guy Active Member

A mini sawyer water filter is fairly inexpensive and doesn't take up much space.

Atlas, Punty and twp like this.
  19. old guy

old guy Active Member

If you fill clear plastic bottles with water and leave them in sunlight for about 8 hours you can purify the water.

Atlas, Punty and twp like this.
  20. twp

Atlas and Punty like this.