1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article- Should preppers consider using drones?

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

twp likes this.
  2. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

I like the concept of being able to patrol a property without being personally exposed to higher risk.
    In this instance, I could wish for quieter props on the drones, to avoid drawing attention to the fact that someone is operating a drone.

There remains a legal grey area which I see reported in the media. People are worried (rightly) about loss of privacy when drones can be used to see onto Their property. That concern applies to both private and government owned drones.

Another concern are drones with weapon mounts (mostly government owned, but not limited to those).

I'm reading more reports about legislation which restricts both drone ownership and flying rules. If you read the news, you are probably aware that small drones have resulted in the closure/shutdown of commercial airports. I place responsibility directly on the drone owners for this. There will always be fools who think they can do foolish things and get away with it... No cure for this, but the government may attempt to impose draconian rules, legal or not, on drone ownership and usage. Something to watch for...

Yet another concern, drones have been reported to be interfering with aircraft which are on fire suppression missions. Again, foolish owners. Some news organizations have attempted to obtain video footage of fire ravaged areas, both while the fires are being fought and after the fires are controlled. I don't doubt that private owners will be tempted to fly their drones into fire suppression zones, "just to have a look".

Finally, I've read reports of government weapons development specifically directed at weapons to take out drones in the battlefield (or anywhere else...). These are EMP weapons, not ballistic. They act against the electronics in the drone. Welcome to the new world...

Atlas likes this.
  3. Atlas

Yes, exactly.

I have a smaller version, if I fly it straight up from where I am standing I lose the sound at about 50 feet. At 100 feet I can't even hardly see it and have to rely on the video coming back from the camera to fly it.

The drone that I have is not big enough to carry a payload, but I wouldn't use it for that anyways. The video is extremely good and while it doesnt zoom it does take a high enough resolution photo that could be zoomed on a bigger screen quite well.

I can think of several times when this would come in handy.

4. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Well-Known Member

I also like the idea, I don't have one yet, but it's on that list.:) It seems to make sense in a defensive position to have an 'eye in the sky' so to speak.

twp and Atlas like this.
  5. Atlas

Yes, there are definitely advantages. The down side is that it will be easy to spot and follow when it lands, therefore giving away your position.

One idea that I had for that was to take off and land in different positions away from what you are trying to protect. This way if its followed you might have a better chance of not being found.

twp likes this.
  6. twp

And it could also be used to decoy people away from someplace you don't want found, or lead them someplace you DO want them to go.
    @Atlas, what is the run-time on one charge? How far away can you still fly it and still retain radio control?

7. Atlas

That is a good idea as well. Diversions can be very useful.

This is the drone that I have. DJI are pretty much the best.
    https://www.dji.com/mobile/spark

With the phone as the controller it's about 150 feet in any direction, but with the controller that has antennas it's much farther.

https://store.dji.com/guides/dji-spark-review/
    There are several videos on YouTube of people flying these up to a mile.

This video of it flying high is pretty incredible.

Sorry for the YouTube videos. They dont post them anywhere else.

twp likes this.
  8. Atlas

Oh, and the battery is the limiting factor. 13 minutes flying time. The Mavic has a bigger battery and longer flight time but costs more than twice as much and is considerably bigger.

twp likes this.
  9. twp

Now we need a drone with an auxiliary (propane/butane) engine and generator to recharge the battery in flight. Not quiet, but it would greatly extend the flight time. You would need a "cargo" drone to handle the added weight.

It occurs to me that having a remote landing platform, for instance up a tree, would allow one to extend the total flight time.

A small solar cell array on top of the drone might let it recharge (partially or fully) while waiting. If nothing else, solar cells would run the radio without draining the battery (if flying in day light).

10. Atlas

That is actually another benefit to the smaller spark. It can be recharged with a usb connection, therefore solar will work well. I also have a 12v charger and three batteries.

twp likes this.